Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #7] From: How best to improve musical performance of my system (Read 1121 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #7] From: How best to improve musical performance of my system

Once again, beware advice from someone who openly admits they are essentially deaf:
Amir, are you just trying to be cruel to an sick old man whose ears are well past their prime?
When I served in the US Army (drafted) in the 1960s they had no clue about hearing protection. I qualified with 3 different firearms, worked on firing ranges, and worked routinely for about 30 months in a very noisy environment. While any damage that may have related to those experiences did not seem to hurt my hearing acuity that much when I was younger, these days things are far worse.

I now struggle to hear the effects of an 8 KHz brick wall filter at normal listening levels.

There are several fallacies here:

(1) Fallacy: Natural hearing ability strongly correlates with knowledge of science, physics, math, acoustics, audio, etc.

(2) Fallacy: If a person is at any time in his life hearing challenged, he can't possibly know anything worth whlie about audio in the here and now.

(3) Fallacy: If a person is at any time in his life hearing challenged, his hearing has always been devastatingly challenged and therefore anything he says about audio that is based on listening is false.

(4) Fallacy: All people with normal hearing are better sources of audio advice than anybody who has ever had any kind of hearing deficiency.

Being a bit of an audio insider, I could illustrate these fallacies with some well known names.

You may wonder why I have been honest about my current hearing situation on public forums - the answer is that it is relevant truth, and that's what I do.  I'm hardly unique in this regard. At a recent dinner party an AES Fellow with a goodly number of journal and conference papers to his credit held up a key chain, rattled it vigorously, and said he heard nothing.  Unexpectedly my revelation has provided a trap for people who probably don't want to show as much bad will as might be interpreted from their attempts to repeatedly exploit my candor. Not the plan, but whatever! ;-)