Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anomalies with CueTools 2.2.4 (Read 990 times) previous topic - next topic

Anomalies with CueTools 2.2.4

Having recently run into problems with Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 not correctly displaying single quote characters (x92) in conventionally formatted .cue files produced by CueRipper and CueTools, I decided to update to CueTools 2,2,4 which has the option of formatting cue files as UTF-8.  (It also has the fix for C2 error handling for my PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH drive - I had previously been using 2.1.9 with the CueTools.Ripper.SCSI.dll from the modified 2.1.7 to address that issue).

The good news is that the C2 error fix in 2.2.4 works OK.   The less good news is that I've found some anomalies elsewhere.

1.  The new CueTools:Settings:General option "Always write UTF-8 CUE sheet" does set the AlwaysWriteUTF8CUEFile=1 setting in CueTools settings.txt file but does not amend the equivalent setting in CueRipper's settings.txt file.  There is no control for that setting in CueRipper's Options so the only way to get CueRipper to output the cue file in UTF-8 is to manually edit its settings.txt file to change AlwaysWriteUTF8CUEFile=0 to =1.

2.   CueRipper 2.2.4 produces output files with double file extensions including a spurious ".flac.":  [album].flac.accurip, [album].flac.cue, [album].flac.log and (in the case of image rips) [album].flac.flac.   For tracks rips, the individual audio files still have the single .flac extension.  CueTools does not exhibit this problem - the file extensions are just .accurip, .cue, .log and .flac, as per earlier versions, even when converting from a rip produced by CueRipper 2.2.4 with the double extensions.

Finally, can I suggest that when CueTools or CueRipper is set to use UTF-8 formatting for the cue file, it would be useful if the .log file was also formatted as UTF-8. 

Re: Anomalies with CueTools 2.2.4

Reply #1
1. Setting something in CUETools is not supposed to alter the CUERipper settings.txt file.
More setting options available from the GUI is on the wishlist.

2. Unable to reproduce using my CUERipper settings and template. Please provide yours.
korth

Reply #2
Thanks for the response, Korth.

Re point 1, yes OK, fair comment.

Re point 2, your request for settings and templates has pointed me to the root of the problem -Cue Ripper is manipulating the path templates when selected in the Output Path drop-down.

These are the relevant entries from my saved copy of the 2.1.9 settings.txt:

PathFormat=D:\Music\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac
SecureMode=1
OutputPathUseTemplates=3
TestAndCopy=0
WidthIncrement=0
HeightIncrement=183
OutputPathUseTemplate2=D:\OtherMusic\WavMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac
OutputPathUseTemplate1=D:\OtherMusic\RipMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac
OutputPathUseTemplate0=D:\Music\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac

But in the 2.2.4 settings.txt there are additional templates:

PathFormat=D:\OtherMusic\RipMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.cue
SecureMode=1
OutputPathUseTemplates=6
TestAndCopy=0
WidthIncrement=0
HeightIncrement=183
OutputPathUseTemplate5=D:\OtherMusic\WavMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac.cue
OutputPathUseTemplate4=D:\OtherMusic\RipMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac.cue
OutputPathUseTemplate3=D:\Music\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac
OutputPathUseTemplate2=D:\OtherMusic\RipMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac
OutputPathUseTemplate1=D:\OtherMusic\WavMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac
OutputPathUseTemplate0=D:\OtherMusic\RipMusic\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.cue

I've just done another test and I can now see how the additional templates are being created.   If I go to the Output Path drop-down and select one of my original templates (without the spurious .flac.) CueRipper displays it in the Output Path with the spurious .flac. added.   I hadn't spotted that before so I guess that's how the additional templates were created.  Having now seen it, I completed the test by manually editing the output path back to the correct version and the test rip then produced the output files with the correct file extensions.

What I'm now going to try is editing the 2.2.4 settings.txt to restore the templates to what they were in 2.1.9 and then test again to check if CueRipper still adds the .flac. when selected in the Output Path.  Watch this space.

For completeness, I've attached a copy of my 2.2.4 settings.txt.

Reply #3
Note: your templafe should end in .cue.
Edit: There was an issue when .cue was left off in some situations so .cue is now automatically added if forgotten.
After the CD is inserted the complete Path replaces the template in the textbox. When ripping to a flac image, that Path may end with .flac instead of .cue.
I'll look into it more later to see if I can replicate the additional template creation.
korth

Reply #4
Re my last, I've done that further test and it seems it is definitely CueRipper that is adding the additional .flac. text to the output path

I copy and pasted the relevant settings from the saved 2.1.9 settings.txt into 2.2.4 settings.txt to eliminate the spurious extra templates and launched CueRipper.  As soon as a CD was loaded, my default Path Format was displayed in the Output Path box with the spurious .flac. added.   [path].flac.flac if I selected image rip or [path].flac.cue if I selected tracks rip.

Even though I did not proceed with the rip, PathFormat in settings.txt was amended from: PathFormat=D:\Music\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac

to: PathFormat=D:\Music\%artist%\%album%$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1, '('disc %discnumber%')',)\%album%.flac.cue

Reply #5
'Note' and 'Edit' in my previous post ^^^

This is the fix for missing .cue in template mentioned after 'Edit' in my previous post
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/pull/184
korth

Reply #6
Changelog
CUETools 2.2.2 (2022-06-02)
[...]
    CUETools, CUERipper: Make sure output template contains extension .cue
[...]
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/pull/184
[...]
Check, if the output template contains ".cue" at the end and add it if missing.
The check for ".cue" is done after editing the output template in CUERipper or CUETools and also when loading the settings file for the case that it has been edited.
[...]
Conclusion: In CUETools/CUERipper 2.2.2 or above:
Delete .flac from all templates and use .cue at the end of a template (or .cue will be added for you).
korth

Reply #7
Thanks, Korth.  That has definitely fixed the problem.

I was initially puzzled by your suggestion that the templates should always end with .cue as, with earlier versions of CueRipper that I had used (up to 2.1.9), the templates would be written to settings.txt with either .cue or .flac depending on whether CueRipper was in tracks mode or image mode at the time the template (and PathFormat) was saved.   Also, those earlier versions worked OK with either .cue or .flac.

But having read the githgub link in your post, I now understand that the forcing of .cue at the end of the template was a change introduced from 2.2.2 onwards and that my issue came about because, when I updated to 2.2.4, it "adopted" my existing settings.txt from 2.1.9 where the templates were all set to .flac as, by chance, they were all created when doing image rips.

Anyway, further testing after editing them all to .cue proves that the output files now have the correct extensions and the templates in settings.txt remain as .cue even when the displayed Output Path has changed to .flac during an image rip.

So problem solved.  Thanks again.