Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar messes up my tags (Read 4764 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar messes up my tags

Take a look at this picture. The tags look severely messed up, and they did not look like this before I started using foobar a few days ago. Inside foobar, everytning seems normal. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? And what if I transfer them to my mp3 player, would the tags then mess up everything?

Thanks in advance.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #1
erm which software are you using to display that? as far as i know, foobar2000 properly supports the ID3 tag standard.

also, make sure that you try to rewrite the tags(right click on files in foobar2000 and click Tagging > Rewrite File Tags to see if that helps.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #2
I'm using Directory Opus 8. The thing is, it has always worked before. When trying to do the same with Windows Explorer though, all seems fine... :confused:

I've tried rewriting the tags, yes. Didn't work.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #3
Hmm, I read on Wikipedia that foobar only writes ID3v2.4 tags by default. Perhaps Directory Opus can't read 2.4 tags. I just hope my mp3 player can...

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #4
So how did you tag the files? Did you use Foobar or another program?
But Foobar also writes ID3v1 I think your player should read this.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #5
Have you tried 'compatibility mode'?

This only works with newer versions of foobar. Go into the Preferences, then all the way at the bottom of the list on the side there's an 'Advanced' item. Click that, then scroll like half-way down in the box that pops up.

Under the 'Tagging' tree there's an item that says:

ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode (non-specification-compliant, slow, activates workarounds for common bugs in other software)

I've never used it (nor had to), so i don't know precisely what it does. You might try checking it and then rewriting the tags for a few songs, and see what happens.

edit: My foobar-written ID3v2.4-only tags work perfectly fine on my second-generation iPod, by the way. So if that's what your MP3-player is, i wouldn't worry.

edit 2: While you're in those options, take note of what you have checked for tagging format. You may actually have ID3 disabled or something.
~

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #6
The files are originally mostly tagged with MediaMonkey, but I've added ReplayGain to every single file in foobar, and as far as I have understood, it then rewrites everything.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #7
The files are originally mostly tagged with MediaMonkey, but I've added ReplayGain to every single file in foobar, and as far as I have understood, it then rewrites everything.

No I think it writes only the replaygain info to files (as far as I know)
Are the ID3Tags shwon correctly in Foobar? And what does Media Monkey use for a tagversion.
From HP
MediaMonkey includes an MP3 Tag editor (an ID3 tag editor supporting ID3v1 & ID3v2),

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #8
Well - I retagged one file in Windows using File Preferences, and then it looked OK (in Directory Opus). Then I changed one single tag (artist) in foobar, and everything (in Directory Opus) looked like question marks, not only the artist.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #9
Well - I retagged one file in Windows using File Preferences, and then it looked OK (in Directory Opus). Then I changed one single tag (artist) in foobar, and everything (in Directory Opus) looked like question marks, not only the artist.

Sorry But You should find out what for an IDtag version Directory opus uses.I couldn't find out.
It seems to me it is a problem of different IDtags versions.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #10
Oh, look here. Seems like people were having this problem a while back and they traced it to the fact that Directory Opus didn't support UTF-8 (which foobar uses, in accordance with the ID3 specification).

If you scroll to the end of the thread, though, the guy says that 8.2.2 fixes this issue. And that was back in May. Are you using an outdated version of DO?
~

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #11
ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode (non-specification-compliant, slow, activates workarounds for common bugs in other software)

I've never used it (nor had to), so i don't know precisely what it does.

This causes foobar2000 to write ID3v2.3 tags instead of v2.4. Beware, though: custom tags (TXXX) are not supported and there may be other limitations, so you may lose something by converting tag types.

foobar messes up my tags

Reply #12
Yeah, i found that out. Doesn't look relevant, though, 'cause apparently DO's supposed to support 2.4 anyway.
~