Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Easy-to-use Hi-Fi CD player for seniors (Read 10520 times) previous topic - next topic

Easy-to-use Hi-Fi CD player for seniors

I am looking for a Hi-Fi CD-Player to give as a present to my parents. They have a sizable collection of audio CDs and have no intention of ripping them. (And it seems their current CD player is on its last legs.) Playback of MP3s or other codecs is not required.

It should be black and have the standard width for Hi-Fi components (ca. 43 cm). I want to spend EUR 150 max (the lower, the better). I know this question is not as advanced as the typical question on this forum but I'm at a loss at what to buy. A forum search didn't turn up anything recent. One piece of info I found is to consider getting a Blu-Ray player instead. But I would only consider Blu-Ray players that (i) boot up almost instantly; (ii) don't have the disc tray hidden behind a plastic cover (as in some LG models); and (iii) can be operated intuitively without being hooked up to a TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. From looking through amazon, it seems that my options are relatively limited. There are a bunch of cheap CD players from brands I've never heard of, and then there are the CD players from the major brands which seem kind of expensive (starting at EUR 200 or so).

Reply #1
inexpensive
I am looking for a Hi-Fi CD-Player to give as a present to my parents. They have a sizable collection of audio CDs and have no intention of ripping them. (And it seems their current CD player is on its last legs.) Playback of MP3s or other codecs is not required.

It should be black and have the standard width for Hi-Fi components (ca. 43 cm). I want to spend EUR 150 max (the lower, the better). I know this question is not as advanced as the typical question on this forum but I'm at a loss at what to buy. A forum search didn't turn up anything recent. One piece of info I found is to consider getting a Blu-Ray player instead. But I would only consider Blu-Ray players that (i) boot up almost instantly; (ii) don't have the disc tray hidden behind a plastic cover (as in some LG models); and (iii) can be operated intuitively without being hooked up to a TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. From looking through amazon, it seems that my options are relatively limited. There are a bunch of cheap CD players from brands I've never heard of, and then there are the CD players from the major brands which seem kind of expensive (starting at EUR 200 or so).

In the US pricing of components is such that pairing an inexpensive  Blu Ray player that is only really usable with a TV with a small-screen LCD TV can be done for under $200 and can actually provide a highly usable package for older folks with increasing presbyopia (far-sightedness).

Reply #2
Hmm, well to get a player at that price, I think you might have to go with a lesser-known brand! How about this CD player with USB? I've seen this brand pop up on eBay in Germany a few times. The controls seem pretty minimal to reduce confusion.

Reply #4
Whoops, borked the link. Here it is - http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Auna-AV2-CD509...Black_i4472.htm

Can't imagine that sound quality will be lacking in any way in this day and age, so that looks good.

There are also some CD player separates and multichangers new and used on eBay UK and probably in your Eurozone country too.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #5
Based on the replies, I felt more confident in purchasing an inexpensive CD player. I ordered an "Auna" branded unit for EUR 83.90 shipped last night. Thank you, all.

Reply #6
With similar requirements, I bought a second hand (used) unit from a local shop.

It's a decent Marantz machine from a decade+ back, and so far has proven reliable, quick, and easy to use. For CD playback, it replaced a DVD player which was slow, clunky, confusing, and very picky in which discs it read.

If you actually want to use CDs, nothing beats a proper CD player.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #7
On the opposite side of that argument, my dad still uses my first DVD player (Sony DVP-S715) as a CD player. It had twin heads/lasers? so the DVD one started skipping but the CD one has been fine

Reply #8
So, we tested the Auna AV2-CD509 last night. Turns out the CD drive is extremely loud. it whirs constantly and there are occasional clacking sounds. we listened to classical music. during soft passages, you could hear the spinning drive from a distance as large as 6-7 m (~20 ft).

i'll returning the player for sure. at this point, i'm trying to figure out whether it's a defective unit or a poorly designed model (i.e., all units have improper mounting/damping).