Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: direct recording from live streams (Read 3181 times) previous topic - next topic

direct recording from live streams

hello, I'm new to this forum so first time greetings  and I hope someone can proffer some advice in my direction regarding a problem I have been trying to solve all afternoon. I run AbletonLive 6.0.3 and Soundforge amongst other music software and I'm having trouble recording live and direct from the internet. I'm wondering if my soundcard (very basic laptop Sigma jobbie) cannot do this task for me - when I go into volume controls and recording options I only have 2 options Mic and Line In ... all I want to do is record what is coming through my speakers - I'm sure I could do this on my old PC !! ... Thanks in advance for any help sent this way

Reply #1
Hellp PhilDC,
you could use the streamripper for capturing mp3, aac and ogg streams. You can download the winamp plugin (if you use it) or cli tool.
There is a tool for capturing wave out, but it's not free. It's called Total Recorder

Welcome to the board!
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #2
Welcome to the board!

Thanks very much for your advice eevan and for the welcome .. the Total Recorder software looks custom made for the job - it may be my best option ... on my old PC, I was able to record straight to Soundforge I'm sure, in my recording options I used to have 4 or 5 faders, now I only have two - Mic and Line In - before I only had to open up the WAV fader to enable recording to hard drive so I'm sure a more simple solution exists .. just a case of finding it ... thanks again

Reply #3
Well, the recording of "What U Hear" as the Creative is calling it is not supported on all devices. I don't know what's the sound hardware in your laptop, but try to update the driver. It seems that you have to use the software solutions.
Cheers
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #4
Recording the "what you hear" or "stereo mix" form the sound card is not recommended, because if you encode that, you're actually transcoding or re-encoding.

It's better to "rip" the stream as-is (bit-perfect recording). I know Winamp can do this with at least MP3 and Ogg Vorbis:

For MP3: CTRL+P -> Plug-ins -> Input -> Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder -> "Streaming" tab -> "Save files to:" checkbox.

For Vorbis: CTRL+P -> Plug-ins -> Input -> Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder -> "Streaming" tab -> "Save streamed files to:" checkbox

Reply #5
Just to cover what may or may not be obvious.
The Windows mixer usually defaults to showing the playback controls, so one has to select Properties, under Options, in order to tell it to display the recording controls. On that page, at the bottom, is usually a window where one checks the particular controls to be displayed. No control without a check mark will appear on the mixer.

In order to play, an stream has to be decoded. If one selects that input and records to an uncompressed format (usually WAV), then no transcoding or re-encoding is occurring.