Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 2000 is not opening mp3 audio that can be opened with other players (Read 1994 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 2000 is not opening mp3 audio that can be opened with other players

Hi everyone! I download foobar 2000 last week and so far I'm very happy with how it works and the extra components that I can use.
I have recordings that I made with the mobile phone of some classes in the university that I can play with the VLC and windows media player.
But when I try to open it with Foobar it just doesn't open. No error code, no crash signal. just stay there with the blinking icon.
It happens with all the recorded audios. I use the app that is from Splend Apps, recording in MP3 16Khz 128 kbps Mono.
 https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_129678_22392492053db17a14a2f63b66e74ba0;topic=0
This all that is shown when i try to open a a file. No alert, just stay there.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_129678_14e612b865119c38ba32cfdf428b2352;topic=0
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_129678_bd86508957d9f4d8acf939e67241aab0;topic=0
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_129678_098d9a39686c7ee240d7fa485d652413;topic=0
I have attached also some screenshots of the file properties to show you if there is any usefull information
This is one of file I try to open (left side) and the other one is one I can open (right) if it helps for something.
All the recordings are far too long to add it here, but if helps I can make a small one just for anyone can try and see if it's just me.
Thank you very much!

Re: Foobar 2000 is not opening mp3 audio that can be opened with other players

Reply #1
Sharing a short sample would be most helpful.

Reply #2
Looking at the Splend Apps Voice Recorder app it looks like the default format is AAC (.m4a). Without a sample piece or ffprobe info it can't be certain. Double check what your recording settings are on the app and if it's not set to record as mp3 change try changing the file extension from .mp3 to whatever it is recording as (.m4a, .wav, .3gp).

Reply #3
OK Thank you so far for the help. I just recorded a sample and attached to the post. At least in my pc I can't open it with Foobar v1.4.3 (and I checked for updates). But I can play it with VLC and windows media.

Looking at the Splend Apps Voice Recorder app it looks like the default format is AAC (.m4a). Without a sample piece or ff probe info it can't be certain. Double check what your recording settings are on the app and if it's not set to record as mp3 change try changing the file extension from .mp3 to whatever it is recording as (.m4a, .Wave, .3GP).
So far as I can see in the file properties, it says its Mp3. (I have attached what I get in the properties window of the file).

In the app I can choose wich format to use, it has Wave, m4a, 3GP and Mp3. I used Mp3 for the recordings of all last year.
Just in case somehow Splend apps format is AAC, shouldn't Foobar be able to play it? maybe I have to download another codec?...

I couldn't find anyone else (at least on google) with the same problem as me. Otherwise I wouldn't be bothering you guys >.<

Again thank you for the help I really want to keep using the Foobar, it's a wonderfull tool.

Regards

Reply #4
OK Thank you so far for the help. I just recorded a sample and attached to the post.

This is AAC in an MP4 container. The ".mp3" file extension is wrong.
Edit: If you rename it to Sample.mp4 or Sample.m4a, it plays as it should. No codec issues here - what fb2k needs, is the right filetype. Peter has chosen not to allow for wrong file extensions.
VLC on the other hand, has chosen to ignore file extensions. Try to rename it to "Sample.txt" and open it in VLC. It will play.
If you press Ctrl-j while playing, VLC will tell you the codec.

ffmpeg returns this:

Code: [Select]
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: isommp42
    creation_time   : 2019-04-08T20:54:13.000000Z
    com.android.version: 7.1.1
  Duration: 00:00:10.69, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 100 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(eng): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 16000 Hz, mono, fltp, 96 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2019-04-08T20:54:13.000000Z
      handler_name    : SoundHandle

Reply #5
Oh my god  :o  :o  It worked!
Now I just have to rename all the files for last year lol, But It just a better quality problem.
I'll look for more information about metadata and FFmpeg to keep learning about what happen, maybe next time won't take 1 hour of my mourning. HAHA
Thank you soooooo much for the help Porcus!

Reply #6
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php is your friend ... if you have all these files in one place.
Suggestion: drag+drop them into foobar2000 first. fb2k will then tell you which ones - if any - are actually mp3

1 hour of my mourning.
Sure you meant that? :-o