Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_effect (Read 249070 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_dsp_effect

Reply #350
Wouldn't that be a input component?

Reply #351
I don't really know. I'm not asking for this feature for a specific format though; I'd just like to be able to change the playback rate in Hz of any file I open, in a convenient fashion. But maybe it's unrealistic with certain input components or files, like synthesized ones?

Reply #352
I think I have found a bug. In v 0.22 I could choose between SoundTouch and RubberBand in both Pitch and Tempo Shift effects. Since 0.30.3 and in last 0.31.3 SoundTouch/RubberBand choice is allowed only for Tempo Shift. Is it a bug or am I missing something? Unfortunately https://github.com/mudlord/foobar2000/blob/master/foo_dsp_effect/CHANGES.md gives me "HTTP 404" error...

Also one more thing. I am not sure if I should blame foobar's core or this DSP plug but... If I deselect "Enable" on my GUI elements for used effects (Picth, Tempo, Playback Rate) those effects are removed entirely from DSP chain. If I re-check "Enable" then they are added in the end. Then it causes that my saved chain is not recognized anymore by DSP switcher (both in Preferences and in GUI drop-down list element). Couldn't it be done in such way, that unchecking "Enable" simply performs zero operation / pass-through and does not remove given DSP from current chain? I would like to prevent making my current chain unsaved if I play with those check/uncheck boxes...

Reply #353
Its definately not a bug. I made it only selectable for tempo.

And thats a design choice. Would have to reimplement to just do passthrough.

Reply #354
OK.
Out of curiosity - which algorithm is now used for Pitch, SoundTouch or RubberBand?

Reply #355
SoundTouch. Its also used for the Playback Shift effect.

Reply #356
I notice that if I set "Playback Rate" to be accessible via a keyboard shortcut, and then press the keyboard shortcut, it seems that the "enabled" text gets highlighted (has a box around it); however, it would be ideal if the cursor would be immediately placed inside the input field; as it currently is, it seems impossible to navigate to this field using just the keyboard (I have to use the mouse to get to it).

Whenever the Playback Rate section is activated using a keyboard shortcut, would it be possible to automatically have the cursor appear in the input field so that way I can immediately start typing?

Here's an image of what I mean.  I set "Playback Rate" to be activated by the keyboard shortcut "Control R."  When I press Control R, the window looks like this:

Reply #357
Yep, easy problem to fix, I noticed the tab order was wrong, in future it will default onto the edit box and be editable.

Reply #358
Also one more thing. I am not sure if I should blame foobar's core or this DSP plug but... If I deselect "Enable" on my GUI elements for used effects (Picth, Tempo, Playback Rate) those effects are removed entirely from DSP chain. If I re-check "Enable" then they are added in the end. Then it causes that my saved chain is not recognized anymore by DSP switcher (both in Preferences and in GUI drop-down list element). Couldn't it be done in such way, that unchecking "Enable" simply performs zero operation / pass-through and does not remove given DSP from current chain? I would like to prevent making my current chain unsaved if I play with those check/uncheck boxes...

Setting each pitch/tempo/rate DSP should zero it, making it pass through. Currently when you disable the DSP with the tick box it works the same way as the FB2K native EQ.

As for the curiosity about DSPs not taking effect, it seems for me to not take into effect for the first 5 seconds of a track, regardless of the DSP present, which is weird, especially for DSPs like echo which do not alter the sample chain duration. Maybe because of the normalizer DSP by kode54 in the chain, who knows.

Reply #359
If you'll check the code (it's in the kode54/foobar2000 repo), you'll see that it needs 10 seconds of buffer on startup, then it maintains at least 4 seconds of buffer at all times.

Reply #360
Now it all makes sense with the processing delays. Thanks.

Reply #361
mudlord, I can't thank you enough for making this. The PB Rate is a game changer for me.

I know that you mentioned earlier that making the elements scale-able was not really a priority for you, but I think it would be a great addition :)

Anyways - thanks again!

Reply #362
Nice to see some people appreciate stuff I do, makes it all worthwhile in the end.

Reply #363
There are 4 things that I love in foobar, which cause that I am not going to change this software to anything else:
- possibility to configure Properties Window (custom fields, etc.)
- customer service (how quickly serious bugs in this free software are resolved, how easy and open is contact with devs, how open they are to introduce most wanted features - even if takes some time)
- possibility to reverse play track
- possibility to change playback rate.

Last 2 are possible only thanks to 3rd party plugins, from which one is yours :)

Question: is it possible to use some portions of your playback rate code and add it easily into Android / mobile version of foobar? I am asking more from technical point of view, as I have no idea about portability of code and your code for this certain plugin.

Reply #364
Question: is it possible to use some portions of your playback rate code and add it easily into Android / mobile version of foobar? I am asking more from technical point of view, as I have no idea about portability of code and your code for this certain plugin.

That is something for Peter to consider, only he has control of the source. SoundTouch should work fine on Android.

Reply #365
Thanks mudlord for this terrific plugin, been experimenting with it for the first time today in FB 1.4.  A question:  what is the proper positioning within the DSP chain of the Pitch Shift control?  I normally use the chain Resampler-->Graphic Equalizer-->Limiter.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply #366
I noticed one discrepancy. UI elements for playing with pitch or rate during playback have input fields for entering numerical values with keyboard. However when I use one of them as additional processing option in Converter, then controls for rate/pitch are old fashioned, with slider only. It would be nice to update them to look like those used for real-time playback control.

Reply #367
Must have not noticed that myself since I heavily use the UI elements. Need to add that to my todo list.

Reply #368
mudlord:  any suggestion re my Reply #365?  Have searched this on the web with no clear results.

Reply #369
Pitch Shift should be at the end of the chain.

Reply #371
Hi there,
I just tried to install the 'effect dsp' to my foobar2000, because I had been looking for a possibility to affect tempo and pitch independant from each other.

And it's working fine :-))

But perhaps there is a bug - or is it a feature...?

Each time I want to add one of the effect-dsp-UI-Elements, it is added with a fixed width. If I place it under my playlist, the playlist is shrinked to the width of the new UI-Element and I don't have the possibility to change foobar2000 to a fullscreen-view anymore.

I always first have to add a splitter (left/right) to keep my playlist's width. But also my added splitter is moved while adding an effect-dsp-UI-Element and doesn't stay where I placed it.

Is there any hidden possibility to change the effect-dsp-UI-Element's width and I just didn't find it until now?

If width is really fixed and unchangeable, it would be great to get the possibility to take influence on it in future versions.

Yours André

(Sorry for my bad english, but school is already a long time ago...)

Reply #372
Its not a bug, its a current limitation of how I made UI elements.

Reply #373
Uploaded 0.33 to fix bug with PB rate UI element.  Sorry for taking so long.

Reply #374
0.34 update with minor subclass changes to pitch/tempo/rate ui elements. There's not much left on the roadmap apart from the sizable UI elements if that is possible. Already started on a new DSP array that uses OS built-in MS DirectX Media Objects, so that might not work on Wine at all.

Couldn't it be done in such way, that unchecking "Enable" simply performs zero operation / pass-through and does not remove given DSP from current chain? I would like to prevent making my current chain unsaved if I play with those check/uncheck boxes...

Good idea, I'm pondering doing that since really if everything is zero, no samples are altered and thus there is no latency problems if there is a crapton of DSPs in the chain.