Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Demuxing audio out of dvd/vcd (Read 5796 times) previous topic - next topic

Demuxing audio out of dvd/vcd

So, I have some DVD concerts and I've tried in past a few programs to extract audio from them and convert to MP3, but recently I've started to more CARE about quality, and now I know transcoding isn't really good. IIRC Easy DVD Extractor has only option to extract mp3/wav/ac3.

Most DVDs have MP2 audio, and I can actually play MP2 on computer (portability not really interests me in this case). Can you recommend me a program to extract audio stream out of DVD without conversion (losing quality)?

A option for VCD (MP1) would be nice to see but I actually don't need it lol (just testing).

Reply #1
Most DVDs have MP2 audio..
Actually, most commercial DVDs, have AC3 audio (multiplexed into the MPEG-2 stream).    I don't think I've ever seen MP2 audio on a DVD.

PAL players (most of the world) are required to play MP-2 audio, but NTSC (American) DVD players are not.  So, all NTSC DVDs are required to have an AC3 or LPCM track.  MP-2 (and DTS, etc) are optional.  I'd guess that 10% of my DVDs have LPCM audio (uncompressed).

If Eazy DVD Extractor can extract to WAV (and if WAV is acceptable for you) that should give you a "high quality" file that contais the same PCM data you get when you play the original file (and de-compresss on-the-fly).

A couple of other tools you can try:
VOB2MPG[/b][/u]  (FREE!!!) can combine the VOB files to one-big MPEG-2 A/V file.  (It only works with un-encrypted DVDs.)

SUPER[/u] can be used extract the audio-only, and in the "stream mode", it won't transcode.

You can also look for a "demultiplexer" to separate the audio & video. 

Transcoding is something we'd all like to avoid, but it's not always that bad.  I usually transcode AC3 to  (high-quality) MP3, and I've never noticed any degradation (except that I can't get 5.1 digital surround  ).  Whenever I thought I heard an MP3 artifact, the same defect has been present on the original.

And, I usually edit the individual concert-tracks to fade-in and fade-out the crowd noise.  Editing requires decoding & re-coding anyway.

Reply #2
Thanks!.. I actually have only heard about the MP2 (I know it isn't related to mpeg-2 video) so it's my bad, I was just referring to others' words, I'd better further read about Ac3 format and if it's a big loss to convert to mp3.

If I somehow couldn't manage to get original audio stream then I'll post.

Reply #3
VLC can extract both the origonal video and audio no converting.