Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Interesting storage product (Read 4239 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting storage product

I just wanted to announce a product I think is very clever (and much better than those "CD booklets" for storage, which is slowly destroying my CD/R collection):

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10276021&loc=101

It's a 75-CD (or DVD, CD-R) organizer which connects to PC via USB cable.  Software database can eject any of the 75 CD's, searches are possible, etc.  I noticed it in the buy.com catalog and it looks pretty interesting. 

A review of the product:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/other/cd_organizer/

Is anyone aware of other, similar products?

Reply #1
It'd be cool if someone were able to get this to work with EAC.

Put 75 CDs in, go to work, come home, and have them all ripped, and encoded

I'd pay big money for that.

chris

Reply #2
Originally posted by cmyden

chris

Heheheh... no way it could, as it's not a drive and can't read CD's... just an organizer (in that respect, maybe it doesn't fall under the category of "audio hardware").

Reply #3
Originally posted by cmyden

chris

how about:
http://www.kodak.com.tw/TW/en/nav/productI...ibrary144.shtml

(and I was too tired to look for more or read anything about this one, so I don't know if it could get the job done or not  I'm going to bed, hehe)

edit: I just googled cd jukebox storage

Reply #5
well, you said big money

Reply #6
I had an engineering buddy in my dorm building who attempted to convert a Sony 100-CD jukebox into a 100-CD-ROM reader. He was pretty good with electronics, but I don't know if he ever finished that project... I think he got bored with it and started soldering together a supercomputer or something

Reply #7
Hmmmm...  kinda interesting.  Would make random acessing hard, without the computer on..  meaning just searching over your titles for inspiration like you can by looking at rows of jewel case album titles,  due to the fact that you cant see the disks (not to mention the cases which aren't there) from the outside.

But,  also due to no cases being involved,  it's pretty dense storage.

On the recorder/player front..  there are 100 and even 300-400 disk players (for audio),  that catalog your stuff.  My father in law bought one a while back,  Sony I think,  that handled 300 disks,  would output info on the TV screen, and even on a 1 1/2" LCD on the handheld controller..  had the option to plug a PC keyboard into it for inputting data (or could be PC controlled)  Fairly nifty..  but only audio related,  no recording possible.

Makes me wonder just how hard it would be to modify one of these things..  replace the read only drive mechanisim with a writer..  Then, you'ld have to a bunch of other things... write some custom software, etc..

Haven't heard if anyone makes multidisk recorders..  the two drawer disc recorders are a scary enough thing to the "powers that be" ,  I think it might be a while for the "big" equipment companies to put out something like that..