Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux/Wine compatibility: request for feedback (Read 4525 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux/Wine compatibility: request for feedback

I'm looking into improving compatibility between foobar2000 and Wine for future foobar2000 releases.
I've done some own testing, so far the only obvious glitch I've noticed is Preferences / Advanced editing visuals.
Please post info about any known misbehaviors here - preferably test the latest v1.6 not older.

No discussion about native port please- even if I make one, you'll still need classic foobar2000 in Wine to run the available add-on components, so running in Wine will always be an essential option.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: Linux/Wine compatibility: request for feedback

Reply #1
It's really almost perfect already.

One annoying glitch is that when you lock a toolbar, sometimes the elements change size. I can't work out the exact logic of when it happens but I have attached an example.

Reply #2
Another issue is that smooth scrolling in the default UI components doesn't work. However, the smooth scrolling implementation in Facets/SimPlaylist does work.

Reply #3
One thing that I noticed is that copy and cut in Properties fails sometimes and I have to make it several times.

Anyone have this behaviour?

Reply #4
Toolbar glitches, reproduced.
Failure to cut or copy in Properties, reproduced.
Smooth scrolling, there's a toggle in Default UI Advanced Preferences for this, did you enable it?

Reply #5
Yes it's enabled. The scrolling is just stepwise still. With the option enabled, every time I scroll one click of the mouse wheel, Wine outputs to stderr:
Code: [Select]
0024:fixme:win:scroll_window some flags (320016) are unhandled

So I expect Wine just doesn't implement that native smooth scrolling feature

Reply #6
I'm currently looking at these issues to see if any of them are bugs in fb2k (some of early Wine vs fb2k clashes were in fact my bugs).
Unfortunately nothing that I can easily fix turned up so far. Still, keep the reports coming, maybe a list can be compiled to file at Wine bugzilla later.

Re properties dialog copy-
All clipboard plaintext copy operations seem to fail at random with no error returned to fb2k to tell that something went wrong.

Another issue that I noticed - tooltips (at least ones in fb2k playlist) are not transparent to mouse scroll events, so you cannot scroll with the mousewheel while a tooltip showing uncut version of some song title is shown.

Reply #7
Would it be possible to change the API used to open a folder when you use the main menu options File->Folders->Browse X Folder to be the same as the one that is called when you use 'Open containing folder' on a track? The 'Open containing' option is easy to override using a registry setting to use the native file manager but the main menu ones always open Wine's useless explorer clone, and I can't find a way to override it.

Reply #8
The 'Open containing' option is easy to override using a registry setting

Can you share how do you do it?

Now I using foo_run with
Z:\usr\bin\nautilus "$replace(%path%,'\','/','Z:',,%filename_ext%,)"
but I always click "open containing folder" anyway  :P

Reply #9
Another problem is with the fullscreen visualizitation. When I pressed "Full-screen mode" it open a "fullscreen" layer but only with a static image of foobar. I can "esc" to come back to the application and no error is displayed in wine log

Reply #10
You can save the following as a .reg file and import it using Wine regedit, or edit the keys manually:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\windows\\system32\\winebrowser.exe\" -nohome \"%1\""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\open\ddeexec]

It will open folders using xdg-open. If you want to use something else for opening files you can change how winebrowser.exe works by changing another key, eg.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\WineBrowser]
"Browsers"="wine-xdg-open"

The fullscreen mode of the default visualizations doesn't work here either, there is apparently a window but it's invisible, all you can do is press escape to close it.

Reply #11
You can save the following as a .reg file and import it using Wine regedit, or edit the keys manually:

Thanks man  8)  Works fine

It will open folders using xdg-open. If you want to use something else for opening files you can change how winebrowser.exe works by changing another key, eg.

I understand that xdg-open uses the default file browser and if I changed the default to another one it will open the new one.

That is a good behaviour for me  ;)

The fullscreen mode of the default visualizations doesn't work here either, there is apparently a window but it's invisible, all you can do is press escape to close it.

At least is not a problem in my set-up xD

Reply #12
I'm currently looking at these issues to see if any of them are bugs in fb2k (some of early Wine vs fb2k clashes were in fact my bugs).
Unfortunately nothing that I can easily fix turned up so far. Still, keep the reports coming, maybe a list can be compiled to file at Wine bugzilla later.

All clipboard plaintext copy operations seem to fail at random with no error returned to fb2k to tell that something went wrong.

Another issue that I noticed - tooltips (at least ones in fb2k playlist) are not transparent to mouse scroll events, so you cannot scroll with the mousewheel while a tooltip showing uncut version of some song title is shown.

Man, the simple fact that you care about how your software runs in a platform where it is not design to work is a big deal for all of us linux users.

I really appreciate it.

Reply #13
Hi Peter.

I have a question for you.

What do you think about an output option to foobar that talk directly to pulseaudio bypassing the wine layer translation?

Something like foo_out_pulse from sammoth but integrated in the application.

Reply #14
Would it be possible to change the API used to open a folder when you use the main menu options File->Folders->Browse X Folder

Never mind, I just realised this feature is due to the foo_utils component

Reply #15
I find this one is highly dependent on the desktop environment in use as well. And sometimes applies to other apps, not just Wine, sometimes also virtual machines like KVM/Qemu with a Spice viewer.

I have tested this with my current Wine Staging, based on 5.16, and the tooltips are definitely transparent to clicks and scroll events now, both on Gnome and on Wayfire. Maybe upstream fixed this one finally?

Another problem is with the fullscreen visualizitation. When I pressed "Full-screen mode" it open a "fullscreen" layer but only with a static image of foobar. I can "esc" to come back to the application and no error is displayed in wine log
Yes, I experience this one as well, regardless of my DE choice of either Gnome or Wayfire. It seems as of some Wine version, fullscreen mode stopped working with foobar2000 visualizations. Here, they appear to stretch to fullscreen, then become invisible to all but keyboard input. I have to hit escape before they lose keyboard focus, or else a permanent visualization gets stuck in this "fullscreen" state.

Reply #16
Some context menus seem to close when sub-menus are opened. Example: in default UI edit mode, right click on a splitter and hover to open the Top pane or Bottom pane submenu. The context menu just closes. I had this issue in my own code too using some menu code I copied from the SDK example, but when I replaced it with code from musicmusic's menu helpers it stopped happening, but I can't see what they are actually doing differently.

Reply #17
Just made the switch to Linux as main desktop. Had no problems using my old 1.5.1 installation under Wine, but installing 1.6 results in no audio playback.

Reply #18
1.6 (and any other WASAPI using foobar components) requires a fairly recent version of Wine, possibly version 5.0 or newer.

E: Try this output plugin, it natively uses PulseAudio. You will need to symlink your PulseAudio cookie file into your Wine prefix, and enable the native TCP sink in PulseAudio. Thankfully, with this cookie method, it should be relatively safe, as nothing can authenticate with the Pulse instance without it.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=119763.0

Reply #19
1.6 (and any other WASAPI using foobar components) requires a fairly recent version of Wine, possibly version 5.0 or newer.

E: Try this output plugin, it natively uses PulseAudio. You will need to symlink your PulseAudio cookie file into your Wine prefix, and enable the native TCP sink in PulseAudio. Thankfully, with this cookie method, it should be relatively safe, as nothing can authenticate with the Pulse instance without it.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=119763.0
Thanks! Tried latest wine stable (5.0.2) but that did not work. Then tried latest development (5.19) and it is working. Now using foo_out_pulse.

Reply #20
Few issues I've noticed (using foobar2000 1.6.1, wine-staging 5.19):

- No fallback font support

- Library doesn't always auto update when adding files to monitored folders (have to restart foobar)

- 'Recently added' autoplaylist (%added% DURING LAST 8 WEEKS SORT DESCENDING BY %added%) doesn't sort correctly, as in tracks and albums are somewhat mixed instead of in descending order.

- foobar2000 doesn't interract with the DE like native players (via MPRIS D-Bus?). I suppose this would require a 3rd party plugin.

Thanks for looking into linux/wine compatibility!

Reply #21
Can't edit previous post anymore.

Regarding the recently added playlist, using 2 weeks (183 tracks) instead of 8 weeks (427 tracks) fixed the sorting issue.

Reply #22
- Library doesn't always auto update when adding files to monitored folders (have to restart foobar)
Same here.

Issue:
"Always on Top" doesn't work.
Edit: After further testing it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

Reply #23
"Always on Top" doesn't work.
Edit: After further testing it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

That's probably highly dependent on your window manager, some of them won't pick up the hints Wine sets for things like that and many X11 window managers seem far from standards-compliant. Which one are you using?

Reply #24
- foobar2000 doesn't interract with the DE like native players (via MPRIS D-Bus?). I suppose this would require a 3rd party plugin.

I would also like support for MPRIS. As far as I tested, everything else works fine, thank you for your work on making foobar2000 compatible with Linux!