Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Metadata is the little problem facing the music industry (Read 4195 times) previous topic - next topic

Metadata is the little problem facing the music industry

Recently, a musician signed to a major indie label told me they were owed up to $40,000 in song royalties they would never be able to collect. It wasn’t that they had missed out on payments for a single song — it was that they had missed out on payments for 70 songs, going back at least six years. The problem, they said, was metadata...
~ https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/29/18531476/music-industry-song-royalties-metadata-credit-problems
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: Metadata is the little problem facing the music industry

Reply #1
I don't understand the problem. Every time a song gets played on radio, the record company gets money. It's up to them to distribute that money to all parties that has to be paid. What is the problem? Wrong tags? They don't own these. Is the problem missing tags? Than cooperate and add to the standardization. What am I missing?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
I don't understand the problem. Every time a song gets played on radio, the record company gets money. It's up to them to distribute that money to all parties that has to be paid. What is the problem? Wrong tags? They don't own these. Is the problem missing tags? Than cooperate and add to the standardization. What am I missing?

If you read the article entirely, you know that it's far more complicated than that.  It's very different compared to the radio.  The wrong tags or someone missing from the tags means someone isn't getting paid for the work they did as they end up left out.

Reply #3
the record company gets money. It's up to them to distribute that money to all parties that has to be paid.

Which, if they make such convenient errors, they don't? Sounds like this one: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110110/14112612596/major-record-labels-agree-to-pay-45-million-copyright-infringement-canada.shtml
Filesharing 300 000 songs for sale. Paying the artists? Nah, "pending" for twenty years.

Reply #4
I've read the article, but still can't understand whos problem is that. Metadata, as I understand it, is something that is related to some information. For music files, it could be tags. For record label, it should be some database connected to accounting. So, the problem is they don't run those as they should? Tough, but at the same time, they are yelling at others for copyright infringements? What a LOL..
I'm all up to respecting the artist's rights, but at the same time, don't make these so complicated. It's really very simple.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #5
Actually Discogs has a fair bit of this type of info, but really the publishers and the artists need to be more thorough since they are the ones who put the stuff out and hope to profit by it. Doesn't surprise me at all that streaming services are in no rush to verify or correct the metadata. Funny how the music "industry" is just like so many other industries.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)