Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Two soundcards at once (Read 2792 times) previous topic - next topic

Two soundcards at once

I recently purchased the M-Audio Transit to use as my soundcard for media playback.  I have limited USB slots however, and sometimes I have to unplug the Transit in order to use my burner, etc.  I'd like the computer to default to my onboard soundcard in that case, but the only way I can get the Transit to work is by disabling the onboard card in Device Manager.  Is there a way to have it default to the onboard card whenever the Transit isn't plugged in, or at least have both cards active at the same time?

Thanks!

Two soundcards at once

Reply #1
Why not buy a USB hub if you're short on ports?

Two soundcards at once

Reply #2
I've had trouble with USB ports before.  The one I have now, even though it has a kind of dual power plug to take up both of my USB, underpowers things.  I was transferring songs to my iPod through that hub and it was going extraordinarily slowly.  It's possible that the iPod just uses a huge amount of power compared to all my other USB peripherals, but it just made me wary of it and paranoid that my devices weren't getting enough power.  I guess there'd be no harm in trying it again, though.

Anyone know an answer to my question in the OP?

Two soundcards at once

Reply #3
I've had trouble with USB ports before.  The one I have now, even though it has a kind of dual power plug to take up both of my USB, underpowers things.  I was transferring songs to my iPod through that hub and it was going extraordinarily slowly.  It's possible that the iPod just uses a huge amount of power compared to all my other USB peripherals, but it just made me wary of it and paranoid that my devices weren't getting enough power.  I guess there'd be no harm in trying it again, though.

Anyone know an answer to my question in the OP?

If your Ipod was transferring slowly with the hub, but faster without it, then it's more likely that the hub you were using was USB 1.1 only and not 2.0 which is the much faster one.

I have a USB 2.0 hub with 7 ports and AC adapter attached to the hub to supply all the power required.  I have had various things plugged into it, including my Sansa DAP and a multi-function card reader, and everything transmits at full USB 2.0 speed.

Remember, USB 1.1 is about 12 mbps (approximately 1.1 MegaBytes/sec) while USB 2.0 is a theoretical 480 mbps (with a realistic 25 MegaBytes/sec transfer rate).

Total cost of the 7-port USB 2.0 hub + AC adapter was $28.00 USD for me.