Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best option for recording vinyl/tape when you have no Line In (Read 7099 times) previous topic - next topic

Best option for recording vinyl/tape when you have no Line In

newbie post here, bear with me...so i have a new imac, and I believe all that it has is a Mic jack, in addition to FW and USB ports.  Im interested in doing some moderate to high quality vinyl/tape transfer.  Is there an optimal interface between audio equipment and computer that bypasses the Line IN such as a USB device?  Ive seen whats out there, but Im curious as to what the best option is.

Reply #1
The Pro-Ject Debut III Phono USB is a high quality record player which you can attach directly to the USB port.
If you want to record tape as well you'd have to find a similar tape player (with USB connector) or just buy an external soundcard with line-in support (the M-Audio Transit USB for example).
It baffels me that such a high priced computer as the iMac doesn't offer a line-in.

You have to convert from analogue to digital at some place. Wheter the record/tape player does this or your soundcard generally doesn't matter. Buying a decent audio interface with line-in support will offer the most flexibility as you can attach pretty much any old audio device to it, provided you have the right cables .

Blubb

Reply #2
The Pro-Ject Debut III Phono USB is a high quality record player which you can attach directly to the USB port.

In your experience, is this an acceptable way to record?

Reply #3

• Not for tape
  • If you already have a turntable then it would be more cost effective to get just a USB sound card

Reply #4
Apple's specs (at http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html ) say that the iMac has an audio line-in, combined with an optical input.

I know no more than this, but it might be worth experimenting with what's in the machine first, to see if it's satisfactory.

Reply #5

• Not for tape
  • If you already have a turntable then it would be more cost effective to get just a USB sound card

Ill resist the urge to ask if you are sure that the turntable wont be acceptable for recording from cassette

i am looking for a decent turntable upgrade.  so if i got a pro-ject which ive actually been eyeing, would it be overkill to spring for an analog/digital converter like the transit, or is the output generated from the turntable itself equivalent?

Reply #7
that looks great.  do you have experience with it?  also, what is a goof tape player to use...i confess that i havent owned a tape player in a while, but there are some things that are cassette-only realeases that Id like to convert.

Reply #8
newbie post here, bear with me...so i have a new imac, and I believe all that it has is a Mic jack, in addition to FW and USB ports.  Im interested in doing some moderate to high quality vinyl/tape transfer.  Is there an optimal interface between audio equipment and computer that bypasses the Line IN such as a USB device?  Ive seen whats out there, but Im curious as to what the best option is.

There are a ton of USB audio interfaces, very many of which have sufficient quality for digitizing cassettes and LPs. The Behringer UCA 202 is a good, intexpensive one that I've used with good results. The UCA 222 is basdically the same hardware painted bright red, a different software package, and about $6 more.

Reply #9
http://www.terratec.net/en/products/PhonoP...Vinyl_2064.html

For 90€ I would hope to find something with inputs and outputs, though I see the added value in it if OP doesn't already has a phono preamp (and it does have software, if it's any good).

I suppose it's pointless to say that 24/96 is overkill for vinyl or cassette since just about everything is capable of that these days.

Reply #10
that looks great. do you have experience with it?

Yes, I have one. Nothing bad to say but as the ADC isn't very good.

Inside the box (camera: N95):

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/14032010458.jpg

A/D Converter: Cirrus Logic CS5341
Op-Amps: JRC NJM4580 and Natioonal Semiconductors LM833

I have not found information over input impedance. Maybe it's 47kohm as it's on Terratec's other audio devices capable for RIAA EQ.

For 90€ I would hope to find something with inputs and outputs, though I see the added value in it if OP doesn't already has a phono preamp (and it does have software, if it's any good).

ESI DuaFire is low budged (~100€) FW audio interface with Phono pre-amp onboard.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/duafire/

A/D, D/A converter(s): AKM4626A
Phono input Impedance: 47k ohm, 200pF

Juha