Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lamedropXPd3 (Read 37455 times) previous topic - next topic

lamedropXPd3

Reply #25
John33 - Everything in Beta 1 seems to be working great, including the output directory testing, scaling, and copying of tags.  I really appreciate you adding "Equals VBR Quality of Vx" on the quality scaling slider.  That will make it a lot easier to select the common Vx settings.  I also appreciate you taking out the Standard and Fast VBR setting since --vbr-new is now standard in 3.98.  This looks ready to mass release to me, but I'm only one tester.  Hopefully others can test and provide any additional feedback.

Once again, thank you so much for enhancing this encoder tool.  It's awesome.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #26
John33 - Everything in Beta 1 seems to be working great, including the output directory testing, scaling, and copying of tags.  I really appreciate you adding "Equals VBR Quality of Vx" on the quality scaling slider.  That will make it a lot easier to select the common Vx settings.  I also appreciate you taking out the Standard and Fast VBR setting since --vbr-new is now standard in 3.98.  This looks ready to mass release to me, but I'm only one tester.  Hopefully others can test and provide any additional feedback.

Once again, thank you so much for enhancing this encoder tool.  It's awesome.

Just trying to meet a long outstanding commitment, although not fully done yet! 

Thanks to you for your testing. Always better to have a third party testing things, rather like with proof reading.

If there are no problems reported, I'll release this later tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your interest.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #28
Great job done John33 

I did a fair amount of testing and everything works as expected here.

Some features I could appreciate in a future version could be:
  • dropping directories (albums ) and retain this structure in the output
  • numerical input for the -V value

lamedropXPd3

Reply #29
Great job done John33 

I did a fair amount of testing and everything works as expected here.

Some features I could appreciate in a future version could be:
  • dropping directories (albums ) and retain this structure in the output
  • numerical input for the -V value

Excellent, thanks, and I'll bear your suggestions in mind.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #30
Just to let you know that I've decided that I'll formally release this after I return from a short vac, at the end of the month. This serves two purposes. First, it will allow another ten days for anything to 'crawl out of the woodwork', and second,  if any issues do arise from a wider distribution, I'll be around to respond. Hope this doesn't upset anyone but I would hate to release this and then not be around if there were any issues!

lamedropXPd3

Reply #31
Just enjoy your vacation! We are grateful for what you do, so plan your holidays the way you want and not how the lamedropXPd release cycle is :-)
Thanks for your efforts!

lamedropXPd3

Reply #32
Will you be building a 64bit version?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #33
Hope this doesn't upset anyone but I would hate to release this and then not be around if there were any issues!

Current build seems quite stable, so I think it's not gonna be a big deal to wait a bit

lamedropXPd3

Reply #34
Enjoy your vacation John !
Perhaps we could buy you a few drinks to express our appreciation for your commitment to continue to improve your great software. All we need is a PayPal link 

lamedropXPd3

Reply #35
Thanks. guys. 

I'll build 64 bit as and when I put up a 64 bit system to test on. Might look at that too when I get back.

See you at the end of the month.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #36
First and foremost, john33, thank you so much for you fabulous utility.  I am certain that there are untold thousands of people out there like me, who happily utilize things like your rarewares site and this forum, but who never post, because we don't feel knowledgeable enough or qualified to do so.  So on behalf of everyone like me, a big fat thank you to people like you, and the regular contributors to this website.

That being said, I have a feature request which would make lamedropXPd a dream come true: dropping in a high level directory, and recreating the mp3s in that structure in another directory.

To be specific, I have been using EAC to back up my CD collection into FLAC files.  I have a high level directory with everything in it.  Underneath are subdirectories of genre, i.e. opera, musical, jazz, rock, etc.  Under those are directories of collections, artists, etc., ending finally in individual directories for each CD.  In all, about 600GB of FLACs within thousands of subdirectories.

I want to make 2 sets of mp3s, one at –V 0 for a big DAP, and one at about 96kbps for a small one.  If I could set an output directory of, say, "mp3 96kbps", and then take the "flac" directory and drop it on to lamedropXPd, and come back in a day (or three) to find it all converted (now with tags and all!), it would be a real fantasy come true.

I have looked around the web, and searched this and other sites, but I have not been able to find any (freeware or open source) software that can do this.

I don't pretend to know if this is a simple addition for you or not.  If so, then I (and I'm sure countless other people) would be unbelievably grateful.  If not, then thank you any way for the incredible work you have done (and continue to do).  It is more appreciated than you probably know.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #37
Great work on this!  I've always converted FLAC to WAV and then used RazorLAME to convert to MP3.  LamedropXPd's drag-and-drop method is much easier!  Imagine that!

I've noticed one little bug when transcoding FLAC to MP3.  If you select Copy oggvorbis/FLAC comments and Add id3V1 tag ONLY in Tagging Setup, it will still create an ID3v2 tag for the MP3 file if there are long comments.  So even though you've selected Add id3V1 tag ONLY, it acts like you've selected Add id3V1 tag and id3V2 tag if necessary (over 30 chars).

The only reason I discovered this is because I like to use MP3ext to edit my tags, but it only has support for the Encoded by tag field and not Encoding setting, which lamedropXPd supports.  I'm not sure if one is considered more standard than the other, but it would be cool if I could choose which field lamedropXPd used, or at least had the ability to turn the Encoding setting tag field off completely.

Thanks for putting the time and hard work into this easy to use tool!

lamedropXPd3

Reply #38
John33 - see this thread regarding -q switch.  With --vbr-new now standard in 3.98, would the "Encoding Engine Quality" setting be needed in lamedropXPd?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #39
OK, back in circulation,    and I haven't forgotten about this!! 

I've just uploaded beta2, link is on the first post.

There are a few changes to this that I think need some testing.

1. I've changed the box on the encoding dialogue to allow the direct input of the -V value, in addition to the slider.

2. I've made some changes to the tagging set up dialogue which may make things a little clearer.

3. By default, if LAME discovers a non-standard Genre, it automatically adds an id3v2 tag, even if you specify id3v1 only! This does not seem quite correct to me as one would normally only specify 'id3v1 only' for a reason. Therefore, and this only applies to copying oggvorbis/FLAC tags, if id3v1 only is specified and a non-standard genre is encountered, the genre is changed to 'Other' so that 'id3v1 only' is preserved.

I will release this version, subject to any required bugfixes, before looking at any further enhancements.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #40
Where do you add "--id3v1-only", before or after the other tag switches?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #41
Where do you add "--id3v1-only", before or after the other tag switches?

Currently, I'm applying id3tag_v1_only(gfp); before setting the tags, but I did try it after without it seeming to make any difference. The id3tag_set_genre function in id3tag.c adds the id3v2 tag in the event of a non-standard genre, unless I am completely misreading it.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #42
If you call id3tag_v1_only at the end, it should zero out the ADD_V2_FLAG. At least it is working this way using lame.exe.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #43
If you call id3tag_v1_only at the end, it should zero out the ADD_V2_FLAG. At least it is working this way using lame.exe.

Thanks, Robert, I'll give it another try. It could be that I had another problem that was masking it when I tried it before.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #44

Interesting results!

In the uploaded version, not only am I checking for non-standard genres, I'm also ensuring that tags don't exceed 30 chars, by truncating them, if id3tag_v1_only is set.

To test properly, I disabled all of the above and simply moved the call to a point after where the tags have been set. This generated both id3v1 and id3v2 tags. Next, I re-enabled the genre checking, leaving the 'call' where it had been moved to. Both tag type were generated. Then I re-enabled the tag length checking/truncating and at this point, only id3v1 were generated. Moving the call, of itself, seems to have made no difference.

This behaviour may be due to the fact that, of necessity, some things are done somewhat differently than in the lame frontend. I am not in the least bit concerned about this as the way it is done in lamedropXPdv3 seems to work correctly and consistently.

If you have any other thoughts on this, I'd obviously be interested to hear them, but it works OK, as is.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #45
Ok, found the bug: LAME will always return an id3v2 tag when id3v1 fields are too short to hold the text, even though you say you want id3v1 only.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #46
Ok, found the bug: LAME will always return an id3v2 tag when id3v1 fields are too short to hold the text, even though you say you want id3v1 only.

Thanks, Robert. I don't claim to know much about id3, but it's nice to know it wasn't me!! 

So, if you genuinely want id3v1 only, it would seem that lamedropdXPdv3 is the place to get it!! 

Open to offers of bugs that anyone may have found?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #47
Oh, by the way. Do you make use of LAME's new feature to write unicode tags?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #48
Oh, by the way. Do you make use of LAME's new feature to write unicode tags?

Not at the moment, no. I've been more concerned with getting everything sorted before I look at anything else. I'll certainly bear it in mind, though,  when I look at the next bunch of enhancements.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #49
John33 - see this thread regarding -q switch.  With --vbr-new now standard in 3.98, would the "Encoding Engine Quality" setting be needed in lamedropXPd?

Beta 3 now available via link on first post. The only difference with Beta 2 is that the 'Encoding Engine Quality' option is disabled for VBR as it is set automatically.

Subject to any bug reports, I propose releasing this over the weekend.