Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: kernel streaming kmixer. Should the windows volume control be useless? (Read 1888 times) previous topic - next topic

kernel streaming kmixer. Should the windows volume control be useless?

First post here...
After reading the first few pages after searching for "kernel streaming kmixer" I didn't get an answer.

I'm using foobar/KS and an Audigy 2 NX.

I have read that KS will bypass the kmixer. If that is so, why I can still change the volume of the audio using the mixing control in "sound and audio devices"?

I have tried disabling the card altogether, so the OS doesn't see it, and kernel streaming still works. But no other app can use audio, which is a pain.

I simply want to make sure I'm bypassing kmixer, in case all those who say it's detrimental for audio quality are right.

If I can affect the volume, my guess is that KS is not bypassing kmixer in my config. It might be something weird about the Audigy 2 NX doing DSP processing on the CPU, not on on-board DSPs.

Is that what you would expect?
Thanks

kernel streaming kmixer. Should the windows volume control be useless?

Reply #1
You know KS is active if the "Wave" (or "MP3") volume slider in the Windows mixer becomes dead.

The "General" volume slider usually isn't driven by kmixer and therefore still works. Just keep it at 0db (100% on most cards).