Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVD drive started ripping slower (Read 2743 times) previous topic - next topic

DVD drive started ripping slower

I'm experiencing a problem with my internal DVD-ROM drive after I formatted and reinstalled Win98.

In EAC using Secure Mode before the format and reinstall it would rip at 5.7x maximum.

In EAC using Secure Mode after the format and reinstall it now rips at 2.9x maximum.

What I've did so far, none of it has helped:
- De-installed, and then reinstalled the Adaptec ASPI layer.
- Installed VOB's ASAPI.
- Unchecked DMA for the drive in the device manager.
- Deleted the EAC registry settings.
- Manually configured the drive in EAC, and then ran the detection tests.

Reply #1
I don't know why, but sometimes leaving the read spead at maximum doesn't actually make the drive read at maximum.  I had the same problem recently with my liteon 24x burner, which reads at 40x.  It was reading way slower than it normally does, so I went in and changed the read speed for the drive from 'maximum' to '39.9x' and it now reads as fast as it used to.  BTW, what is with EAC and its goofy drive speed displays? 39.9x? And it says 23.9x in the burning section, heh, weird thing.

Reply #2
I figured it out.

I forgot to enable:
Extraction Method > Secure Modes > Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error informations.

Another EAC learning lesson for me!
I think it's time to do some screenshots of my EAC configuration.

Reply #3
or you could just backup the registry branch before you nuke/reinstall  I use this one myself, for backing up a bunch of branches here and there.  Works rather nicely, I've got it setup to backup each branch that I want to a seperate .reg file.  Well, actually, I've got it setup to backup branches belonging to one program to one .reg file, as some programs keep stuff under HKCU and HKLM. I used to have it set to backup all branches for all my programs into one single .reg file but that was a little harder to keep track of as I ditched some programs and got new ones etc, so I switched to one file per program just to cut down on the maintenance time.  http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp Registry Key Backup

<edit> although since switching to WinXP from Win9x I haven't had to reinstall everything every 2 months so I don't use this quite as often as I used to, hah