Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Cleaning" out noise...? (Read 2389 times) previous topic - next topic

"Cleaning" out noise...?

Hello,

I'm new here

I have some voice recordings, really low-fi. Just recorded with my cell phone. There is a ton of noise.

(AMR to Wav)

I'm sure many of you guys have seen movies where they "clean" out a noisy audio stream to get a clear message. I'm not asking for that, we all know what's on TV isn't always real.

But I'm wondering if you can do such a thing, maybe not to that certain extent, but just a lil? Thanks a lot!
15GB 3G iPod (in white iSkin) -> Pocketamp 2 V2 -> Koss KSC-35/Ety ER-6
Pocketdock Line Out or Sik Ram Din coming soon.

"Cleaning" out noise...?

Reply #1
Hello 3GiPodder,

welcome to HA!

The result will depend on the kind of noise. If it is people talking and rumbling in the background, chances for a good result will be bad. Other than in movies 
Lowering static noise is much easier. Get the Demo of Adobe Audition and try out the noise filter. To gather the noise profile, you need a piece of noise without speech.

"Cleaning" out noise...?

Reply #2
Hello,

I'm new here

I have some voice recordings, really low-fi. Just recorded with my cell phone. There is a ton of noise.

(AMR to Wav)

Well, there are forensic techniques that can be applied, and it is a good thing they are lo-fi, as these techniques are pretty brutal and heavy-handed.

My question is, what kind of noise?  Continuous?  Hum?  Buzz, crosstalk? Static? Digital Garble? Clipping? Background traffic, Background Music?

Do you want to archive the recording?  Or do you just want to transcribe the recording?  Of course, I recommend storing the original unchanged, one or more of the modified recordings, as well as transcribing.

First, you should only pass the frequencies that have speech in them.

If it is simple hiss or staticor , I would use just about any program that has a "learn noise" and remove noise function. 
For static, just use a crackle filter .

"Cleaning" out noise...?

Reply #3
Audacity can also provide a good noise filtering (AFAIR it could also 'learn' noise too) if u can't afford Adobe Audition.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021