Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: track changing pauses (Read 3979 times) previous topic - next topic

track changing pauses

hey all
im new to hydrogenaudio, so sorry if im being a pain for creating a topic straight away. anyhow, ive been using eac and lame to rip all my audio for quite some time now and have noticed that after my last hd format that all lame encoded music takes about 1/2 a sec to open when changing songs. this can be really annoying, especially when listening to albums that are intended to change from song to song without breaks. naturally i searched for the latest lame codec version and installed but still no luck... is there something painfully obvious i am missing here... any help would be much appreciated.

track changing pauses

Reply #1
You want gapless playback. You need gapless formats, a gapless decoder, and gapless sound output,

Recent LAME MP3 files are gapless if you use a LAME-header compliant decoder, so the first criterion has already been met. For the other stuff, I recommend foobar2000.

track changing pauses

Reply #2
If you're a Winamp user, then any MP3 encoding can be played back gaplessly using the mpg123 input plugin (decoder) and waveout output plugin.  Directsound output may work as well for this, but I haven't tried it recently enough to be sure.  For MP3 playback I only use mpg123 + waveout.
Sometimes you have to jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.

track changing pauses

Reply #4
I've tried it with non-LAME-encoded files and it's still audibly gapless to my ears compared to the "stock" Winamp MP3 decoder.  I've used it specifically with FhG and Xing-encoded tracks.  Try it.

track changing pauses

Reply #5
I'm afraid I don't use Winamp anymore, and I don't really want to.

Anyway, I doubt your files are being decoded truly gaplessly, regardless of the encoder used.

track changing pauses

Reply #6
you could use Foobar 2000 and the gap killer dsp
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

track changing pauses

Reply #7
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291232"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In case the mp3s were encoded properly using EAC and lame there should be no need at all for the gap killers dsp in foobar2000. They should play back gaplessly just like the original CD.

track changing pauses

Reply #8
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291232"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In case the mp3s were encoded properly using EAC and lame there should be no need at all for the gap killers dsp in foobar2000. They should play back gaplessly just like the original CD.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291259"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Still, it would solve the problem
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

track changing pauses

Reply #10
Anyway, I doubt your files are being decoded truly gaplessly, regardless of the encoder used.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291203"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've tried it with non-LAME-encoded files and it's still audibly gapless to my ears compared to the "stock" Winamp MP3 decoder.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Audibly gapless isn't the same as truly gapless.  For instance, a properly executed zero-second crossfade can result in audibly gapless playback, even if it's not truly gapless.  (Plus, audibly gapless MP3 playback can be player-independent, whereas truly gapless playback requires a specific decoder with such capability, and then only with the LAME tags you referred to.)