Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Improving Demo Quality (Read 2605 times) previous topic - next topic

Improving Demo Quality

Hello. I read the forums since a lot, but just got registered now. I got a few demo tapes from band and just recorded them to PC.

Those are old tapes, what I should do?
I wanna "remaster" them.
I got Sony SoundForge 7 + Noise Reduction 2 plugin, but I have no idea of what to do.
Change volume / equalize / what!?

Sorry for my poor english! Thanks in advance 

Improving Demo Quality

Reply #1
Hello. I read the forums since a lot, but just got registered now. I got a few demo tapes from band and just recorded them to PC.

Those are old tapes, what I should do?
I wanna "remaster" them.
I got Sony SoundForge 7 + Noise Reduction 2 plugin, but I have no idea of what to do.
Change volume / equalize / what!?

Sorry for my poor english! Thanks in advance 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263681"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Use your ears!

Try and get the best possible transfer from tape to computer. I think the noise reduction plug-in works by analysing a bit of noise on the tape with no sound, so you'll need to make sure you record some tape hiss before or after the music. Use EQ with care, use your ears!. Try a bit of enhancement, but use the bypass button often to make sure it's not too much and actually degrading the sound, that goes for all the proccessing you do. Use your ears!

edit- Oh and be careful that a perceptable increase in sound quality isn't just because of an increase in volume.

Improving Demo Quality

Reply #2
No idea...
Thanks for the reply. As I said I've just instaled sound forge. I have no idea of using any plugins, etc...

Why here is not a FAQ just about improving sound quality? I mean using "basic" things like EQ, Noise Reduction, etc.

I have no idea of using the  Ampliture Modulation, the EQ, etc etc...
I used a basic program, Gold Wave, to cut, re-compress, etc. But now I wanna enter in a bit more advanced world. And "remaster" those demos.

Any help?  Thanks

Improving Demo Quality

Reply #3
You see, everything is different.  Some things need more bass, some less.  Some need compression others need noise reduction.

My point is that there is no general and global way of making things 'sound better'.

Listen to what is wrong with the recording and then make the proper adjustments.  Sound Forge is very easy to use.  Although, why you bought it without being able to work it, I'll never know.

Improving Demo Quality

Reply #5
Although, why you bought it without being able to work it, I'll never know.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263855"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Err.... Didnt exactly bought it, ya know... 
I think the demo needs to be equalized and a noise reduction.
Any tips? 

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021