Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Hot" CDs vs Cassettes (Read 4199 times) previous topic - next topic

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

In my opinion, Uncle Kracker's 'No Stranger to Shame' CD is so horribly distorted that I can't even enjoy listening to it. Would I be wasting my money on a cassette? Is distortion typically present on both formats?

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #1
Chances are that if you can even find a cassette version, it would come from the same master as the CD.  You'd probably be better trying to dig up the vinyl.  Also might want to consider a polite complaint to the record company.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #2
Also might want to consider a polite complaint to the record company.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235237"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm seriously considering sending it back to them, complete with waveform analysis to enforce my argument. I'll also tell 'em how 'flat' and weak it sounds compared to other CDs in my CD changer.

I wouldn't expect a refund, but I'd like to see their response.

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #3
have to state the obvious...  don't buy from artists or record labels who release crappy-sounding albums.  If they want to compromise their sound for a cheap marketing trend, f-ck them
seanny.net

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #4
yeah, well sometimes you have to buy it to find out it sounds like ass.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #5
In my opinion, Uncle Kracker's 'No Stranger to Shame' CD is so horribly distorted that I can't even enjoy listening to it. Would I be wasting my money on a cassette? Is distortion typically present on both formats?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235214"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unless I got a bad copy, I think the new Hives CD, Tyranasaurus Hives is pretty poor as well. At least two tracks have some distortion. Has anyone else noticed this with that CD?

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #6
have to state the obvious...  don't buy from artists or record labels who release crappy-sounding albums.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If everybody did that, the record companies would just blame the drop in sales on music piracy.

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #7
have to state the obvious...  don't buy from artists or record labels who release crappy-sounding albums.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If everybody did that, the record companies would just blame the drop in sales on music piracy.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235314"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True, but they would do the same if less people would i.e. buy albums released on RIAA-labels and instead begin to explore more indie-labels. No matter what you do against their abuse, the culprit always has to be someone other than themselves.

The bottom line: don't care about how they may react and instead just do what to you is the right thing.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #8
neither cd nor tape is to blame for distortion. it is probably due to a bad master. maybe it was recorded badly already with distortion, or it could have been mastered by an amateur, because he wanted the recording loudest possible. as the hype is to make louder and louder CDs nowadays.

i have many recordings where you hear a bit of distortion because they are bassy as hell, like various tracks from erykah badu, or maxwell. but you only hear this when you are listening through headphones, normally it is not that noticable.

"Hot" CDs vs Cassettes

Reply #9
google: tape saturation