Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with specific ASF files... (Read 2197 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with specific ASF files...

I've already used "Search" (as well as Google'd around with every combination I could think of), but if this has been previously addressed I've failed to find it:

I have a set of ASF files. They have junk appended to the end of them (but it is not anything meant to be there; it is not encryption data, or user data, or any thing else... just junk!), but I don't know exactly where the junk begins. If I could determine that, I would like to strip off the junk and save some space.

These are audio-only ASF files. It may be that there is some way to extract the audio portion to a WMA file without re-encoding; if so, that would probably accomplish what I want.

Here is the file info for one of these tracks, as reported by Winamp (using Peter's alternate WMA plug-in v1.0):
Duration = 1686713
Bitrate = 128016
Seekable = true
Broadcast = false
Is_Protected = false
Is_Trusted = false
Signature_Name =
Title =
Author =
Description =
Rating =
Copyright =

Is there a readily-identifiable marker to designate the proper end of an ASF stream, or a simple way to transmux an unprotected ASF to WMA without transcoding? I would really rather not transcode to any other format, if I can avoid it. (... but then, I would really have preferred the source to use a different codec in the first place!)

- M.