Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encode WMA v9 with CDex free ripper (Read 14326 times) previous topic - next topic

Encode WMA v9 with CDex free ripper

Reply #25
Hi Lyx
Yes, I've been encoding my mpc files the xact way you've described above. It takes a bit longer though since EAC first has to make the wav files from the CD, then the mppenc codec gets to work on them and makes the finished mpc files. I've done that many times.

I don't know, maybe I was growing a little tired of the mpc format, and now I'm looking for something new. However ripping directly from CD's is high priority.
I'm at the moment testing the wma 9 format out. Ogg Vorbis is another strong contender.

SweMule
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234147"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can set EAC to start encoding in background when the first file finished ripping. It  doesn't take much longer than on-the-fly encoding. But your decision seems to be psychologically, rather than technically, motivated.

If you incist on easy to setup on the fly encoding I'd recommend using CDex with Vorbis dlls (Vorbis has better quality than WMA, better hardware support than WMA Pro, is open and cross-platfom etc...)

What I want to say; there aren't much good reasons to use WMA

Reply #26
WMA Pro provides much better quality than WMA standard. For PC only usage i'd still recommenc MPC or Vorbis though. There isn't really that much of a difference between direct encoding and wav file creation once you have a configured ripper like EAC. It's just one click - as easy as WMP
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've visited Microsoft to get some more info about the wma9 pro. And it appears to be a 5.1 encoder, that also provides high quality stereo for those that don't have 5.1 equipment. Interesting.
[SweMule]

Reply #27
WMA Pro provides much better quality than WMA standard. For PC only usage i'd still recommenc MPC or Vorbis though. There isn't really that much of a difference between direct encoding and wav file creation once you have a configured ripper like EAC. It's just one click - as easy as WMP
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've visited Microsoft to get some more info about the wma9 pro. And it appears to be a 5.1 encoder, that also provides high quality stereo for those that don't have 5.1 equipment. Interesting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234154"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can take a look at [a href="http://www.rjamorim.com/test/128extension/results.html]this[/url] listening test, which involved WMA Pro.

Edit: Vorbis quality improved considerably since that test. It came out as winner in the last test.

Reply #28
You can set EAC to start encoding in background when the first file finished ripping. It  doesn't take much longer than on-the-fly encoding. But your decision seems to be psychologically, rather than technically, motivated.

If you incist on easy to setup on the fly encoding I'd recommend using CDex with Vorbis dlls (Vorbis has better quality than WMA, better hardware support than WMA Pro, is open and cross-platfom etc...)

What I want to say; there aren't much good reasons to use WMA
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234152"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL!, yes I hear (see) your point 
I'm actually starting to lean more and more to the CDex / Ogg Vorbis combination.
[SweMule]

Reply #29
You can take a look at this listening test, which involved WMA Pro.

Edit: Vorbis quality improved considerably since that test. It came out as winner in the last test.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234155"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting. Thanks for providing the test results.
What's 'Blade'? Is it mp3?... Didn't do to well 
[SweMule]

Reply #30
You can take a look at this listening test, which involved WMA Pro.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234155"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting. Thanks for providing the test results.
What's 'Blade'? Is it mp3?... Didn't do to well 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234157"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it's an mp3 encoder. It was used as "anchor" to put other codecs in relation. So it was expected to be really bad.

Reply #31
I have now done some more testing using wma 160 cbr and comparing it to CDex - Ogg Vorbis 160 vbr. It turned out that Ogg Vorbis presented a clearer, and more natural sound, very true to the original at this relatively low biterate. This is perfect, this is what I was looking for!.
Now I'm gonna do some serious transferring from CD's to harddrive!.

Thanks all you guys for all the help I've received in this topic! 

SweMule
[SweMule]

Reply #32
make sure you get aotuv (improved quality) or megamix  (even better quality, higher bitrate in general) dlls.

Reply #33
Hi Lyx
Yes, I've been encoding my mpc files the xact way you've described above. It takes a bit longer though since EAC first has to make the wav files from the CD, then the mppenc codec gets to work on them and makes the finished mpc files. I've done that many times.

I don't know, maybe I was growing a little tired of the mpc format, and now I'm looking for something new. However ripping directly from CD's is high priority.
I'm at the moment testing the wma 9 format out. Ogg Vorbis is another strong contender.

SweMule
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234147"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It could have been that EAC was slower, because it was ripping in "secure mode". Other rippers like WMP and Cdex dont have that option. If you switch the ripping mode to "burst mode"/"paranoia mode", then EAC will be as fast/slow as other rippers(because it will use the same ripping-method then). The downside is that without secure mode, it can happen that you later find ripping-errors in your encoded files and either have to live with them, or re-rip them(which takes more time than using secure-mode from the beginning on).

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #34
Thanks for the info.
It's not working with the 1.14 encoder?.

SweMule
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn't work with 1.14, it might with the upcoming 1.2 since its based on 1.15. Use this command line with 1.15:

--quality x.xx --xlevel --verbose --artist "%a" --title "%t" --album "%b" --track "%tn" --genre "%g" --year "%y" "%1" "%2"

Tick "on the fly" and "send wav to st.."

You can also add the mpc profile info to the comment tag. Easy!

Reply #35
It could have been that EAC was slower, because it was ripping in "secure mode". Other rippers like WMP and Cdex dont have that option. If you switch the ripping mode to "burst mode"/"paranoia mode", then EAC will be as fast/slow as other rippers(because it will use the same ripping-method then). The downside is that without secure mode, it can happen that you later find ripping-errors in your encoded files and either have to live with them, or re-rip them(which takes more time than using secure-mode from the beginning on).

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234205"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, yes if secure mode is available then It's best to use it.
CDex has jitter correction and some clipping prevention.
I'm very pleased with the combination CDex/Ogg Vorbis 160 vbr.
[SweMule]

Reply #36
Thanks for the info.
It's not working with the 1.14 encoder?.

SweMule
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn't work with 1.14, it might with the upcoming 1.2 since its based on 1.15. Use this command line with 1.15:

--quality x.xx --xlevel --verbose --artist "%a" --title "%t" --album "%b" --track "%tn" --genre "%g" --year "%y" "%1" "%2"

Tick "on the fly" and "send wav to st.."

You can also add the mpc profile info to the comment tag. Easy!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234274"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for this info shadowking. I will keep it in mind.
By the way, how do you add plug-ins to CDex?.
[SweMule]

Reply #37
make sure you get aotuv (improved quality) or megamix  (even better quality, higher bitrate in general) dlls.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234188"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!. Sounds great.
I need some info on how to add these dll's into CDex though.
(I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to this)
[SweMule]

Reply #38
Used CDex to rip to WMA9PRO using the settings in the first post in this thread.  It works, but no tags are created.

How do I get proper tagging?

Thanks.