Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My foobar has been crashing for the past few months. (Read 1831 times) previous topic - next topic

My foobar has been crashing for the past few months.

Hello,

I have been using foobar2000 as my default music player for probably more than 10 years now, and I listen to music for hours every day. I never had any issues until few months ago.

My foobar started crashing when listening to music few months ago. The timing seems random, sometimes few minutes into listening to music, sometimes after few hours, sometimes it goes fine for 2-3 days without any problem. I send crash report every time.

I'm on latest version v1.6.5. All my addons are up to date as well, as have always been the case over the past many years. I've used beta trouble-shooter on foobar website which recommend that I remove one plugin, which I did but crashes still occur.

Not really sure how to begin the troubleshooting process. Does foobar create any crash log anywhere I could analyse?

Normally I would start with reverting any recently introduced changes to my system, but it's a moving beast so who knows where to start. I haven't added any new addons. I probably upgraded foobar to latest version as I do every few months. I install Windows Updates, drivers updates, etc...

Re: My foobar has been crashing for the past few months.

Reply #1
It saves crash logs to your profile configuration folder, or the portable install configuration folder if you're using a portable install. It offers to send these to the log server every time it catches a crash log.

Reply #2
I presume 'Ryzen 7 3700X' foo_dsp_std+12CD0h crashes on the tracker are yours.
Technically speaking, it's SSRC resampler implicitly used to upsample audio, to 192000Hz as requested by your audio device.
Unfortunately nobody else has similar crashes; everybody runs the same code, so it might be somehow tied to your machine.

I recommend putting another resampler (anything else than SSRC) at the end of your DSP chain, configured to output sample rate of 192000Hz, this will suppress the code that crashes for you.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
I presume 'Ryzen 7 3700X' foo_dsp_std+12CD0h crashes on the tracker are yours.

No, I have not reported my issue anywhere officially yet. However, I also have Ryzen R7 3700X and my sampling rate is also set to 192000Hz.

Unfortunately nobody else has similar crashes; everybody runs the same code, so it might be somehow tied to your machine.

Well I have and that other person with R7 3700X & 192000Hz who raised it on the tracker seems to be experiencing the same issue. Perhaps a very rare bug?

Edit: I've found the crash log: https://pastebin.com/NQnGwCCy

Judging from the dates on crash files in my profile, crashing started in February this year. That is also when I changed my DAC from NwAvGuy ODAC that I had for 5 years, to Topping DX3 (connected via optical cable). I've had had R7 3700X since its release date and haven't had this issue before.

Reply #4
No, I have not reported my issue anywhere officially yet.
I send crash report every time.

^ I believe this is what Peter is referring to - you sent crash reports to the tracker.

Try SRC or SOX resampler...

Does optical cable properly support 192000Hz? - could that be related to crashes? (Not sure, just asking)

Reply #5
No, I have not reported my issue anywhere officially yet.
I send crash report every time.

^ I believe this is what Peter is referring to - you sent crash reports to the tracker.

Try SRC or SOX resampler...

Does optical cable properly support 192000Hz? - could that be related to crashes? (Not sure, just asking)

Alright that makes sense, I misunderstood him.
I will play with these resamplers and see how it goes.