Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A Noob's Question regarding Audio Recording (Read 1497 times) previous topic - next topic

A Noob's Question regarding Audio Recording

Hello everyone,

So, professionally, I'm a video editor who's slowly getting into the professional side of things with audio, so please excuse me if the question is a tad too elementary.

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why when opening a track with an 8 Bit Mono Channel, while monitoring it, there's a considerable amount of noise coming through the headphones. Meanwhile, if I switch it over to 16 Bit, it sounds pretty natural.

I took a wild guess and thought it might be something that's somehow similar to how color profiles behave, but thought I'd ask in a forum where I can get an educated answer. I like to learn the technical side of things.

Re: A Noob's Question regarding Audio Recording

Reply #2
You might think of it somewhat like banding of a gradient in video, trying to quantize a smooth curve into limited bit depth. Like banding, dithering can be used to make the quantization noise less noticeable. Increasing the bit depth lowers the noise floor.

Reply #3
I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why when opening a track with an 8 Bit Mono Channel, while monitoring it, there's a considerable amount of noise coming through the headphones. Meanwhile, if I switch it over to 16 Bit, it sounds pretty natural.

8 bit audio is limited to 2^8 = 256 levels, whereas in 16 bit there are 65536 value.  When you convert to 8 bit, each value is truncated such that it fits in 8 bits.  The value in the 9th bit is used to round up or down to the nearest 8 bit value.  That round randomly increases or decreases the volume of each sample.  That random increase or decrease is noise, which you hear when you listen to the sample. 

Reply #4
The only place I've seen 8-bit audio used is with telephone systems.    All soundcards and audio interfaces are at least 16-bits.  

Reply #5
Wow! I'm glad I asked!

Thank you guys so much!

Reply #6
The only place I've seen 8-bit audio used is with telephone systems.    All soundcards and audio interfaces are at least 16-bits.  
Some old computers/consoles had 8-bit audio.