Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME producing different results on different tools. Why? (Read 2252 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME producing different results on different tools. Why?

I'm trying to convert a WAV file (decoded from FLAC) to MP3 CBR @ 320 (yes, I know that that there are more reasons in favor of VBR than not, it's more of a whim of mine than anything else) and so far, ffmpeg has been doing all I need. However, I can see a very consistent difference between LAME CLI, ffmpeg and Audacity with LAME when comparing with a few tools:

LAME 3.100 CLIffmpeg 4.2 (Lavf 58.29.100/LAME 3.100) CLIAudacity 2.3.2 (LAME 3.100)
MediaInfoConstant/320/Encoder Settings: -m s -V 4 -q 3 -lowpass 20.5Variable/320/Constant/320/Encoder Settings: -m s -V 4 -q 3 -lowpass 20.5
Spectral AnalysisAlmost nothing between shelf and cutoffAlmost nothing between shelf and cutoffConsiderably more happening between shelf and cutoff
Fakin' the Funk*256kbps192kbps320kbps
*I know that this tool is not a really good indicative and is probably misreading info, but it seems to a least notice the visible difference the Audacity file has in it's spectrogram

Commands/settings used for the encodes:

LAME: lame -b 320 -q 3 -m s [File].wav [File].mp3
ffmpeg: ffmpeg  -i "[File].wav" -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 320k  -compression_level  2 -cutoff 20500 -joint_stereo 0 "[File].mp3" -y
Audacity: Import .wav file > Export as MP3 > Insane preset, Stereo, Default Variable Speed

What I'd like to understand is why all of this results are coming different, if they are all, in theory, LAME

Thanks