Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NEC ND-1300 (Read 6215 times) previous topic - next topic

NEC ND-1300

Can't say I know much about DVD in general but know I've decided to get a recorder. ND-1300 seems like an long awaited drive and is very cheap. Haven't found many reviews of it. Could anyone initiated say something about this drive, guide me to a good review or help me with alternatives?

NEC ND-1300

Reply #1
Very good question, i'm also considering byuing that driva, there is also another driva manufactured by tdk, similar specs, can't remember the model nr right now, but if anyone has opinions about those 2 drivers, please share

NEC ND-1300

Reply #2
According to the latest c't magazine, the 1300A is one of the best DVD burners. Excellent write quality, especially with DVD-R (Maxell, TDK and Verbatim 4x).

NEC ND-1300

Reply #3
I have had 1300A about 2 months. The first drive I got was faulty (CD-reading/burning stopped working), but the second drive has worked ok so far.
Juha Laaksonheimo

NEC ND-1300

Reply #4
According to the latest c't magazine, the 1300A is one of the best DVD burners.

Thanks for the info, sounds positive. Don't know if there's a rating system in c't, but if there is how did it rate? What were the first, second & third best drive etc.?

NEC ND-1300

Reply #5
Don't know if there's a rating system in c't, but if there is how did it rate? What were the first, second & third best drive etc.?

No, they don't have "Top 10" lists etc. They say it's not logical to rank hardware or give awards, because every user has different priorities. They just show their test results and let the user decide which is best for him. In the conclusion of their articles, they always give hints as to which devices are the best for which situation.

NEC ND-1300

Reply #6
No, they don't have "Top 10" lists etc. They say it's not logical to rank hardware or give awards, because every user has different priorities. They just show their test results and let the user decide which is best for him. In the conclusion of their articles, they always give hints as to which devices are the best for which situation.

I see. Well, I guess you've contributed with the info you got, thanks.

NEC ND-1300

Reply #7
Make sure you use the latest firmware. They tested this drive before and it wasn't that good, but now with the new firmware, it improved quite a lot.

NEC ND-1300

Reply #8
Make sure you use the latest firmware. They tested this drive before and it wasn't that good, but now with the new firmware, it improved quite a lot.

Understood. From what I heard it had some serious problems with alot of media, but the firmware should pretty much fix that too.

NEC ND-1300

Reply #10
I've got the TDK 440N (Dual Writer in Europe, Indy in the US) for near than a month now.

So far it works well with all the DVD+R and DVD-R I provided it, except the Memorex DVD-RW (I had huge problems with them, the DVD-R Memorex worked fine)

So now I'll take mostly Verbatim and TDK media.

I put the modified 1i06 firmware that resets the zone at each DVD insertion. 

There for NEC and TDK http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/index.html

There for NEC drives http://herrie.rpc1.org/

Firmware upgrade is done at your own risks.