Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hdcd (Read 4459 times) previous topic - next topic

Hdcd

Basic informations:  www.hdcd.com

Unfortunately bought by Microsoft.

I listened to:

Joni Mitchell

Both Sides Now

it is a  HDCD !

Joni has produced a lot of her albums as HDCD.

Tests:

Not all songs were HDCD,
of  12 songs:  Number 4, 6 and 12 have been not in HDCD.

Could somebody confirm this result ?

Copying:

DAT, PC: EAC, CD-R, CD-RW

very well.

Via koax. dig. out of Grundig GDV 130 /TYT2000clone into old  DAT.
HDCD as DAT !!!
( from DAT via opt. dig. out into Harman Kardon AVR HK 5000, which does decode HDCD ).

Reading waves with EAC worked perfectly. Later burning to CD-R and -RW kept HDCD info proved by playing CD-R/RW via Grundig130 to HK5000.

Quality of sound

very well.

HDCD is only decoded in stereo selection of amplifier. If I chose surround, Logic7 = Dolby Pro Logic 2, the HDCD symbol goes away. But you listened instead of excellent stereo sound to very well surround sound.

Oc course you cannot compare stereo and well surround, it is like apples and peaches eg. ...

Result:

Even the combination  HDCD and Surround on one CD works,  but you can only listen at one time to one of them.

Something special:

The DVD Grundig 130 / related to eg. Daewoo 5700 in USA, TYT2000-clones (product of Korea) is a low budget production.

The dig. out is not fixed, you can change volume by remote control in 16 steps.

Do low budget products always change "true audio-bits" ??!?

NO !!!

Prove:

My HK 5000 as HDCD dekoder recognized the HDCD-bits always if volume of dig. out of player was at maximum.  Immediately you lowered volume eg. from 16 to 15, it was not HDCD anymore !!!!
(because then waves are changed compared to original.)

If you have switched volume back to max. , the decoder recognized immediately HDCD !!!

(all tested via cheap standard audio cable usually delivered with low budget components, not a true coaxial cable..... !!!)

Result:

Player with not fixed dig. out, you should use with max. volume, because otherwise the original signal is changed.

Volume you should change with your amp !!! 

Soundcheck HDCD versus non HDCD

I thought, that normally I cannot carry out a A/B test, because there are no normal audio-CDs and same HDCD productions to buy.
Same reason, why it is not possible to compare audio-CD vs. SACD/DVD-Audio, because the songs you can buy in both formats (DVD-Audio/SACD and CDDA) are mixed/produced different, in a new technical way with latest technical possibilities to make sound older music better (DVD-audio/SACD MUST sound better/different , even for half-deaf normal-buyers (visitors of discotheques....) ...).

But:

method of test:

Thanks to my TYT-clone with changeable dig. out and my Sony DAT (the last really well product of Sony...) I was able to carry out a nearly true A/B test HDCD vs. non-HDCD:

Original signal  HDCD was recorded digitally (max. volume 16, look above) to DAT.
Now the gain of DVD/CD-player was lowered to from 16 (max.) to 15. So that HDCD-info was destroyed, at nearly same sound volume, fortunately 15 is as loud as 16.
This was stereo source, non-HDCD.
The DAT played original HDCD during parallel playing.

With HK 5000 I switched between DAT and DVD (as CD-player) source, digital ins, so i chenged between HDCD and non-HDCD.

DAT and CD habe been started with time differences of 5 to 10 seconds, so that  a 5 to 10 seconds lasting passage  could belistened directly immediately from other source, namely A/B comparison !

result

For me and other persons there was no difference to tell. Even the non-HDCD had theoretical disadvantages caused by slightly lower volume.

If a CD sounds well, that depends on production.

Prove:

Chesky CDs,  eg.
recorded without HDCD and they sound perfectly wide surrounding (in stereo !), detailed and so on.

So people (with equipment that is somehow affordable  and even better hearing than averaged people) will don't mind if HDCD technique is used or not.
But I dare to tell:  if an artist  pays money for HDCD-licence        to hdcd.com or very_small_soft, then you will be sure that this CD is produced very well and will sound fantastic.
Probably a better sign for quality than THX....   

GERMAN LANGUAGE: Original text:

Grundlagen:  www.hdcd.com

Leider von Microsoft aufgekauft.

So,

habe aus Bibliothek mir geliehen:

Joni Mitchell

Both Sides Now

eine HDCD !

Joni hat etliche ihrer Alben in HDCD aufgenommen.

Tests:

Überraschend für mich:
Nicht alle Songs waren in HDCD,
Von den 12 Liedern waren Nr. 4, 6 und 12 nicht in HDCD.

Könnte dieses Ergebnis jemand bestätigen ?

Kopierbarkeit:

DAT, PC: EAC, CD-R, CD-RW

hervorragend.

Via koax. dig. out des Grundig GDV 130 ins betagte DAT.
HDCD auf DAT !!!
(vom DAT via opt. dig. out in Harman Kardon AVR HK 5000, der HDCD decoden kann).

Das Auslesen der waves mit EAC lief perfekt. Anschließendes Brennen auf CD-R und -RW hat die HDCD Info erhalten beim späteren Abspielen via Grundig130 zum HK5000.

Klang

Hervorragend.

Übrigens wird HDCD nur dekodiert in Stereo Einstellung des Verstärkers. Bei Surround-Wahl, Logic7 = Dolby Pro Logic 2, erlosch das HDCD Symbol. Jedoch hatte man statt des äußerst guten Stereo Klanges nun einen sehr guten Surround-Klang.

Wobei man üblicherweise Stereo und guten Surround irgendwie nicht vergleichen kann, Äpfel und Birnen.

Fazit:

Sogar die Kombination HDCD und Surround auf einer CD funktioniert, wobei man immer nur das eine haben kann.

Nun was spezielles:

Der DVD Grundig 130 als Korea-Produkt ist ja eigentlich eine Preiswert-Produktion.
Der dig. out ist veränderlich per fernbedienung in der Lautstärke, 16 Stufen.

Werden zwangsweise durch Preiswertprodukte die "wahren Audio-Bits" verfälscht ?!?

NEIN !!!

Beweis:

Der HK 5000 als HDCD Dekoder erkannte die HDCD-Bits immer bei voll aufgedrehter Lautstärke des dig. outs des Players. Sobald man runterregelte (von 16 auf 15 Einheiten) war es nicht mehr HDCD !!!
(Weil dann natürlich die waves geändert werden gegenüber dem original.)

Regelte man hoch, erkannte der Dekoder sofort wieder HDCD !!!

(Übrigens alles via koaxialer Billig-Beipackstrippe eigentlich als Chinch-audiokabel, nicht als Digitalkabel, vorgesehen....)

Fazit:

Player mit regelbarem dig out auf Höchstlautstärke/Aussteuerung  fahren, da sonst Originalsignal verändert wird.
Lautstärke also über Verstärker regeln !!

Klangvergleich
HDCD versus non HDCD

Eigentlich nicht auszuführen dachte ich mir, weil keine normalen CD-Produktionen und diegleichen HDCD-Produktionen im Handel sind.
Der gleiche Grund, warum es keinen wahren vergleich Audio-CD vs. SACD / DVD-Audio gibt,
weil die in diesen Bereichen erhältlichen Doppelaufnahmen für die hochauflösenden Formate neu abgemischt, mit den heute modernsten Klangaufbereitern aufgepeppt wurden (DVD-Audio/SACD MUß besser/anders klingen, auch für den schon halbtauben Normalo-Käufer (-Discobesucher)  ....) .

Aber:

Meßmethode

Dank meines Grundigs 130  mit dem regelbaren Digitalausgang und meinem Sony-DAT (das letzte wirklich gute Sony-Produkt...)
konnte ich einen nahezu echten A/B-Vergleich HDCD vs. non HDCD durchführen:

Vom Grundig 130 digital (max.-Aussteureung 16, s.o.) HDCD auf DAT aufgenommen.
Nun den grundig von 16 auf 15 runtergeregelt: Damit HDCD-Info zerstört wird, bei nahezu gleicher wahrnehmbarer Lautstärke, Gott sei Dank ist 16 so laut wie 15.
Das war die Stereo-Quelle.
Das DAT gab im Parallelbetrieb das original wieder, HDCD.

Mit dem HK 5000 konnte ich nun umschalten zwischen DAT und DVD (als CD-player)  dig. Eingängen, also zwischen HDCD und non-HDCD.

DAT und CD etwas zeitversetzt gestartet, damit eine 5- 10 sekunden passage sofort nochmal von der anderen Quelle hören kann, eben A/B-vergleich !

fazit:

Für mich und andere Anwesende war kein Unterschied feststellbar, obwohl die non-HDCD theoretisch benachteiligt war, wegen etwas geringerer Lautstärke.

Es liegt einfach an der Produktion der CD, daß sie gut klingt.

Beweis:

z.B. Chesky CDs,
die ohne HDCD aufgenommen wurden und ebenfalls wahnsinnig räumlich klingen, feingezeichnet, detailreich.

Also, für Leute mit einer Hifi-Anlage irgendwo im bezahlbaren Rahmen und selbst bereits überdurchschnittlichen Hörfähigkeiten wird es egal sein, ob HDCD Technik eingesetzt wird oder nicht.
Jedoch glaube ich feststellen zu dürfen, daß wenn ein Künstler schon Lizenzgebühren für HDCD an HDCD.com oder nun Kleinweich abführt, daß dann diese CD extrem sorgfältig produziert wurde und fantastisch klingt.
Eigentlich ein besseres Gütesiegel als THX....