Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus and podcasts (Read 2040 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus and podcasts

I'm wondering if Opus offers any clear advantage for podcasts.  I listen to a lot of podcasts and am wondering, other than better quality at lower bitrates, if Opus would offer other advantages.

Opus and podcasts

Reply #1
I'm wondering if Opus offers any clear advantage for podcasts.  I listen to a lot of podcasts and am wondering, other than better quality at lower bitrates, if Opus would offer other advantages.

As my primary playback device for speech audio is a Rockbox-ed Clip Zip, I've been using Opus for speech audio for a while now.  I even transcode podcasts from low bitrate mono MP3 to even-lower bitrate Opus (~32 to ~48 kbps) since I've found that's the threshold for avoiding quality degradation.

Opus and podcasts

Reply #2
Forgot to add - as a result of using Opus over MP3 in this way, file size savings are about 25%; which, of course, is advantageous for download/file transfer.

Opus and podcasts

Reply #3
Seamless mode switching could allow mixed content podcasts with high fidelity stereo music and low bitrate mono or stereo speech and perhaps speech overlaid on incidental music at moderate quality. It could lessen the bandwidth costs of hosting them. However, at the moment, it would need the segments to be encoded separately and concatenated to achieve targeted bitrates that vary so much.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021