Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: replaygain reference level tag? (Read 7578 times) previous topic - next topic

replaygain reference level tag?

is there a standard or at least a consensus on what the name of the tag for storing the replaygain reference level should be?  I was planning to add that to flac/metaflac.

Reply #1
That would be a useful thing to have. How about REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE? I don't know.

Can I make another request for metaflac? Multi-line tags support for metaflac. I know tag.exe works well for this purpose, but it would be good to have multi-line tags sort of "officially sanctioned" in flac.

Reply #2
When vorbisgain was being developped, I think there was some discussion about the tag names.

At first vorbisgain used RG_TPEAK (I think it was), RG_APEAK, and RG_TGAIN, but the names were later switched to REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK etc. in favour of clarity and Googlability.

Vorbis comments are meant to be human-readable and short. REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK is human readable, and the tag contents are easily machine parsable.

IMHO, REPLAYGAIN_TARGET_LOUDNESS or REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS or something similar would be best.

---

But would it necessary? 89 dB is almost always used.

edit: Correction. Track gain used to be called radio and album gain used to be called audiophile, so it couldn't have been RG_TPEAK.

Reply #3
But would it necessary? 89 dB is almost always used.

At least J. River uses 83 dB by default in Media Jukebox and Media Center as originally proposed. They implimented it already in late 2001/early 2002 during the Media Jukebox v. 8 development. Though they also use proprietary tags for storing the info (at that time there was no standard yet). However, it would be good to develop a standard for storing the used reference. For example, if someone would like to make a converter that converts between different Replay Gain tag implimentations it would be necessary to know the used reference.

Reply #5
I always wondered why the protocol doesn't just store the calculated level. So if your track has an average level of 90dB, just store it as "90dB". Then the player always gets the relative gains right, regardless the reference level it uses internally.

How about introducing "REPLAYGAIN_ABS_LEVEL"?

Reply #7
well, I could have sworn that this tag was already being done somewhere.  ok, I will just blaze a trail with REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LEVEL=89dB (SPL being implied).

Josh

Reply #9
I've added the new tag to all the code in CVS, this will be in the next release.  the tag currently looks like:

Code: [Select]
REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS=89.0 dB

is that OK with everybody?

Josh

Reply #10
Looks fine to me