Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PPHS Resampler plugin (Read 61618 times) previous topic - next topic

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #25
I can believe

If you can ABX the PPHS resampler vs SSRC on real music (udial doesn't count), then post the clip. (And wether you are using normal or ultra mode).

Otherwhise I *really* don't care what you believe

A little digging shows that resampling on that card is COMPLETELY POINTLESS since it can handle all common sampling rates natively.

So using ANY resampler will LOWER THE QUALITY you are getting.

Not only that, the DSP engine on it cannot operate at 96 and 192kHz, so depending on your setup, it may be resampling TWICE whereas it wouldn't even need to resample AT ALL.

[span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']RESAMPLING DOES NOT INCREASE THE QUALITY OF THE AUDIO[/span], it's only useful for cards that use a bad quality resampler internally because they only support 1 output sampling rate. Your professional grade E-MU card is definitely not one of them.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #26
uh (wow @ the above) thanks Garf, i used your link again to get 0.6. testing it now.

I have a Q which hopefully won't cause you to explode again. I wonder if the PPHS is still better quality than the internal (?) resampler on the SB Live ? Do you or anyone know this, if not, don't worry.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #27
uh (wow @ the above) thanks Garf, i used your link again to get 0.6. testing it now.

I have a Q which hopefully won't cause you to explode again. I wonder if the PPHS is still better quality than the internal (?) resampler on the SB Live ? Do you or anyone know this, if not, don't worry.

I would suspect it is, since I know for sure its better than the resampler in newer Creative cards, and the live is reported to be one of the really problematic cards. The question is whether it really improves quality audibly, i.e. if the bad resamplers are really a problem for normal music. I don't really think so, but some people seem to believe they do.

BTW. My reaction above is because this is mentioned in the resamplers config page, yet people don't seem to read it. Or maybe he does really have a reason to resample, in which case I look like an idiot. I'll take my chances

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #28
fair enough, yep, thanks a lot. i'll carry on using PPHS and see if there are any other problems.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #29
Sorry

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #30
Doesn't matter. That "someone with quite a bit of experience with the card" seems pretty clueless.

Your observations on sound quality seem very unlikely to me, and I'm sure a lot of people here would agree with me.

If you have any data to specifically back up your claims, I suggest you provide them, according to Rule #8 of the Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service and the Foobar2000 forum rules. Thank you.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #31
Sorry

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #32
But...what if I am applying other DSP effects (such as Crossfeed) after resampling?

Makes absolutely no difference.

And...what if the DAC on the sound card somehow outputs a slightly different analog output from an input that is 192K vs. one that is 44K?

We are no talking about some 10$ Creative card here, there is zero chance your card has this kind of issues.

what does the upsampled data look like compared to the original...

Look like?!?!

This is beyond hope...

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #33
Guys, I'm sorry for de-railing this thread.  I'm deleting my posts until I can come up with some useful results.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #34
I found an article about the possible advantages of upsampling in another audio forum, although it isn't in the context of foobar and computer sound cards.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #35
Is polyphase algorithm same with every case, or can it be done different ways? I mean can there be quality difference between two polyphase resamplers, without a bug in one of them?

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #36
I found an article about the possible advantages of upsampling in another audio forum, although it isn't in the context of foobar and computer sound cards.

This is about the advantage of upsampling an original recording before the mastering process for DVDA and has got nothing whatsover to do with foobar2000, playback or the PPHS resampler.

I thought I had been abdudantly clear that in your case you are only degrading quality, but apparently not.

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #37
Is polyphase algorithm same with every case, or can it be done different ways? I mean can there be quality difference between two polyphase resamplers, without a bug in one of them?

I think the existance of the 'ultra' mode already answers that question

PPHS Resampler plugin

Reply #38
What do you want to know?

It is not open source.

Please consider releasing this resampler with the SDK.  I've been looking for a fast polyphase resampler under a simple license for over a year (for StepMania)--one doesn't exist.