Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Line in no signal noob help (Read 3397 times) previous topic - next topic

Line in no signal noob help

Hey, I am trying to record some guitar but I get no signal through my line in. I have an ASUS K8V deluxe motherboard. I have disabled 5.1 so the blue jack acts as a line in but when i put my 1/8" jack into it and record I get a flat line. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply #1
Run > sndvol32 > Options > Properties > Recording > Make sure 'Line in' is checkedmarked and the channel is not muted.

UJ

Reply #2
A normal guitar output needs a preamp to be able to drive a line level input. Without a proper preamp, the signal level will be too low to be useable. That is why there are instrument preamps on many soundcards, so that the user won't need a separate preamp.

Reply #3
It isn't muted, and I have a pre-amp. M-audio buddy.

setup as shown.

Reply #4
It isn't muted, and I have a pre-amp. M-audio buddy.

Check the output from preamp. I can't see is it stereo or mono? I don't know which recording software you're using, you should be able to setup a mono track and choose where to take audio from: L , R or L+R channels of soundcard's Line In. Maybe you've shorted one channel of the line in with mono 1/8'' jack, and software is recording that one, so you get a flat.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #6
Will that solve my problems? Maybe recording through my soundcard isn't meant to be.

Well, that would certainly solve your problems, but you could try one more thing. Once I had certain problems with the onboard audio on one ASUS, and it took me an hour to realize that they've mixed up colours on connectors! Try plugging in another connector, maybe it's the same issue. I have no other ideas...

Good luck!
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing