Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME: What quality do you recommend? (Read 3295 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME: What quality do you recommend?

So I just need some tips when it comes to what quality I should use in CDex. Im gonna re-rip my whole CD collection so I want to get it all right. I want the quality pretty high but not CBR 320 I guess since everyone seems to say its a waste of space and so slightly under in VBR then? Would extreme be the best option then or maybe "very high quality q=0"? And between what bit-rate should I use, 192 - 320? Ive noticed that if I set preset extreme without "fast" it shows that it will be in VBR-Old instead of new, does that make a diffrence? So some tips or what type of quality you use would be nice...

Thanks in advance... your pal the Hydrated Pony

Reply #1
Nobody can answer that for you, but here[/u] are some recommendations for various situations.

(I'm not worried about space, so I just use 'V0' and I don't worry about it.)

A lot of people like to create a FLAC archive, and then optionally create MP3 or AAC files for their portable device.  If you have a lossless master FLAC archive, you're not "stuck" with the format you choose when you rip.

Reply #2
Just read the Wiki of LAME recommended settings and try some of them, i.e.; encode something and listen to it. If you want good archival quality starting with -V 2 is very good.

As for "getting it right the first time" I do hope you realize with a drive that caches audio and using CDex with it gives no guarantee of "perfect rips." I'd suggest going with Exact Audio Copy or dBPowerAmp which use AccurateRip. In short: Rip it once and know you've got the best possible results available without guessing if CDex did it correct.

Reply #3
You should use EAC or dbpoweramp, and LAME -V2 should be more than enough, if not -V0 which is IMHO overkill.