Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1341755 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_discogs

Reply #2875
Hi,
when on a single album (or just a single file) and starting the Update Tags... dialogue,
there is a PREVIOUS button, but there is no such previous where the user could go to.
The button does nothing.

I expect not PREV button in this case, because there is not previous and consider this as a (tiny) harmless but irritating bug.

Reply #2876
That text became quite long, sorry....
Of course having foo_discogs directly embed your artwork would simplify the process the most unless it's not sufficient for your needs.
You wrote it already,
DiscoGS users don't have the choice to determine if the uploaded images will be front/back/medium/booklet/flyer/boxcovers/etc.

So a manual renaming of the downloaded images by the fine component is unavoidably needed, as nobody can assume, what images will have what content.

Thats only, if you want to add not only the front-cover, but also disc/tape and back-covers. Maybe artist images too.

I once batched about 10k of files, where I only downloaded the first image and automaticly attached it later via Batch Attach Picture option, BUT I definately had a preview of all the images, because some images (thank god, only ~5%) were too small or creepy or just total wrong. Embedding those images w/o checking them in the first place is not a good idea, if you are picky about your music.

btw: I almost never use the preview-tab, where we are able to preview the *first* downloaded image, just because it takes too much time when tagging more than 100 releases a day. I have set up CUI to show me all important tags, so, if something went wrong with the fine component (which almost never happens), I immediately recognize that.

My bottom line:
As long, as there is no way to overview *all* images at once in the fine component and choose/select/define the types of each image (front/back/etc) there will be no userfriendly/satisfying way to automaticly embedd images and meet the demands of the users, IMHO.

When updating images (via the screenshotted dialogue-popup), the fine component also fetches redundant images.

When selecting 4 files of an album (same %discogs_id%) 4 identical images are fetched, but for my usecase it should only be 1 image.

how can I set up the component to only fetch a single image?

I don't have enabled "save  all images" in configuration->artwork.

Could you remove %filename% from the name? That will result in a different path for each file, resulting in saving the same image to multiple files.
Thank you, I had tried this, but, it seems to break my other scripts, relaying to *_cover.jp*g when adding artwork to the files. (i.e. Screenshot BatchAttachPicture) (The script is meant to search for an imagefilename, with the same name as the musicfile, if found, it takes that imagefile to embed it into all selected files. If no imagefile with the same name is found, it searches for more generic filenames to use for embedding)

Saving an image to, say, cover.jpg will overwrite all existing cover.jpg in the same directory, which should not be overwritten. Thats why I choosed a pattern like %filename%*_cover.jp*g to have only the images overwritten, which are precisely for those DISCOGS_IDs, I have selected in f2k. (Unfortunately, not all files with different DISCOGS_IDs are in different folders, which would help with using a generic image-filename like cover.jpg.

I'm not 100% sure, how I can benefit from the new handling of the fine component, but I'm willing to change my workflow, if needed. If I could only realize how 8-)

Also, if there would be an option in the components settings which allow the user to choose to either save a single imagefile for each DISCOGS_ID (as it was before the components update) or to save multiple imagefiles, that could help :)
Could you save the image as %DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID%.jpg, then look up $directory_path(%path%)\%DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID%.jpg in your attach script?

Thanks for the idea.

I have tested now,
but until now, I need a "visual connection" between the music-file and the proper image-file. That can not be a random number (discogs_id), stored anywhere in the directory.

3 examples:

C)
time-consuming expample with a lot of different vinyl records
I rename all the single vinyl records to %filename%_cover_disc.jpg so that the Batch Attach Picture script can easily add those files (%filename%*_disc.jpg) to the matching files (%filename%) in one go.

A)
Simple example with only a vinly record and two disc-images (or frontcover, as you wish)
Side A and B become both %filename%_cover.jpg, because of the different filename for Side A and B, it is easy to embedd them in one go.

B)
example to only 3 different record sides
3 files for Side A and 3 files for Side B: %filename%_cover.jpg

For the last 2 examples (A+B) it would be ok to download all the doublettes to the directory, as I rename/copy/duplicate those files anyway, but with CD/DVD/WEB releases I have to delete them, because its too confusing having such a lot of images files in the current dir.
(Imagine releases with not just a single CD and therefore a single front-cover, but a CD collection-box-set with a front-cover for each CD, as in many remastered box sets of old artists :-) I'd like to keep a cover for each album, not just a box-cover for all albums inside the box.

Also I have to switch the components configuration a lot between releases, and that is cumbersome too with the fine component, as those switches are not easy/well-arranged to reach from the components windows (Match Tracks window or Update Tags window). The user/me has to open and close the configuration a lot, while it would be more intuitive to check/uncheck a checkbox for all or one image to download, inside the current window (Match Tracks window or Update Tags window).

Beside that,
maybe it is possible to don't write duplicate images (with same attributes like filesize, or original discoGS filename from the api) to harddisc?

While fetching the images from the api, I guess/hope you have filesizes/filenames and other attributes? Its just an untested idea.
If they match to a saved file, don't save it again. Maybe that would be a "workaround" to not fill up our harddrive with doublettes for a release like this or this (~75MB for fetching all images for 1 single track. I have not counted all the tracks, but I guess, its more than 1GB for all the tracks)

Enuff for today! and thank you for reading this long!

Reply #2877
Hi,

I am using your plugin and it works great.
However, it seems impossible to update (some of the) incorrect values in a cue file.

Let's say my cue file looks like this:

Code: [Select]
FILE "The Police - Every Breath You Take-The Classics.dts" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 01:00:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 02:00:00
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 03:00:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 04:00:00
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 05:00:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 06:00:00
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 07:00:00
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 08:00:00
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 09:00:00
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 10:00:00
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 11:00:00
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 12:00:00
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"
    PERFORMER "Unknown"
    INDEX 01 13:00:00

Why would my cue file look like this in the first place?

I created it manually. I grabbed the DTS track from a blu-ray I own, which I want to play in FooBar. I know there are 14 tracks, so this is what it looks like. I open the file in FooBar and it plays perfectly fine (with the incorrect playings times).
Now I can update it with the your plugin (menu Taggings/Discogs/Write Tags...). See the screenshot:

The first thing we notice is the message "FAILED TO MATCH TRACK ORDER". This message should read something else. The track order does match and is correct. This is a minor bug (if you would even call it a bug).

After writing the tags the file looks like this:

REM GENRE Rock
REM DATE 1995
PERFORMER "The Police"
TITLE "Every Breath You Take (The Classics)"
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Roxanne"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Can't Stand Losing You"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 01:00:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Message In A Bottle"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 02:00:00
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Walking On The Moon"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 03:00:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Don't Stand So Close To Me"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 04:00:00
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 05:00:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 06:00:00
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Invisible Sun"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 07:00:00
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Spirits In The Material World"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 08:00:00
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Every Breath You Take"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 09:00:00
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "King Of Pain"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 10:00:00
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Wrapped Around Your Finger"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 11:00:00
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 12:00:00
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "Message In A Bottle (New Classic Rock Mix)"
    PERFORMER "The Police"
    INDEX 01 13:00:00

That's absolutely great, but the durations of the tracks have not been updated, That's a pitty.
Can you add this as a feature? Maybe with a checkbox "Overwrite track durations" or something?

It would be even better if you can update a cue file based on all the information retrieved from Discogs, overwriting everything. In that case a valid cue file looking like this would be sufficent to use the current feature:
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Unknown"

Or what about adding a feauture to create a cue file in Foobar, without the need for an existing cue file at all?  ;)
Just search for an album by title or Discogs Catalog ID and have it created. Maybe something for a future release?

You would make a lot of people happy. Not only people who rip tracks of their Blu-ray's or DVD's, but also many people who make digital copies of their old lp's.  ;D  

Thank you for creating a fantastic plugin.  :)

Reply #2878
While fetching the images from the api, I guess/hope you have filesizes/filenames and other attributes? Its just an untested idea.
If they match to a saved file, don't save it again. Maybe that would be a "workaround" to not fill up our harddrive with doublettes for a release like this or this (~75MB for fetching all images for 1 single track. I have not counted all the tracks, but I guess, its more than 1GB for all the tracks)

Enuff for today! and thank you for reading this long!
That would be possible.

A preview screen for selecting which images to save as front/cd/back/artist would also be possible. But I have no time to implement such a feature.

Hi,

I am using your plugin and it works great.
However, it seems impossible to update (some of the) incorrect values in a cue file.
Interesting idea. However I suspect it belongs in a separate tool to create a CUE sheet based on a Discogs release, rather than adding that functionality to foo_discogs. In fact, I'm sure I've seen such tools before so maybe there is a working one out there that you could use. Not that I would be opposed to having that functionality in foo_discogs, but it's not something I can commit to adding.

Personally I usually create CUE sheets manually since Discogs durations aren't actually reliable and are often off by many seconds. But I don't do that very often so maybe I have an inefficient workflow. :-)

Reply #2879
I might have found a small bug.

When trying to map SUB TRACKS the preview appears correct but only the first SUB TRACK is being written to tags.

SUB_TITLE = %TRACK_SUBTRACK_TITLE%
I tried %<TRACK_SUBTRACK_TITLE>% but since the field is documented as a STRING it returned null.

To me it looks like it's trying to write each sub track to its own track. However, in most cases I'm guessing users aren't going to want physically split the main file into sub files to accommodate this... if that's how it's even functioning.

Great work on the plugin. Here is an example album to test this with.
https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Kamen-Orbital-Event-Horizon-Selections-From-The-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/144690

Reply #2880
To me it looks like it's trying to write each sub track to its own track. However, in most cases I'm guessing users aren't going to want physically split the main file into sub files to accommodate this... if that's how it's even functioning.

Great work on the plugin. Here is an example album to test this with.
https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Kamen-Orbital-Event-Horizon-Selections-From-The-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/144690
foo_discogs does a bad job of parsing some tracklists. I may publish an improvement on this in the future but am not sure when I'll have time to do that. Unfortunately the root of the problem is that Discogs does not use a standardized tracklist format, so the best we can do is guess and there will always be some corner cases that will be parsed incorrectly.

Reply #2882
I only get the first image. Some issue with the other images? Size? Dimensions?
Thats because, there is ONLY 1 single image stored for each of the above releases.

Reply #2884
I only get the first image. Some issue with the other images? Size? Dimensions?
Thats because, there is ONLY 1 single image stored for each of the above releases.
There are more images, but somehow discogs only showed one indeed. I pulled of a reorder trick and now all is fine. Cheers.
Ah, so that was obivously a problem on discogs‘ side,
not with the fine component then.
yesterday, there was only 1 image SHOWN via the website, today, I see more.

So when the release webside only shows 1 image per release, the api sure will too.
Thats why only 1 image was downloaded by the fine component.

Anyways,
I did not know about „reorder tickets“, so thank you for bringing this to my attention ;-)

Reply #2885
Hello everyone,

I see there's been some discussion on this issue but no resolution. When tagging certain vinyl rips, I have a lot of 'hidden track' issues - see pic.

Can I resolve this somehow? Or is there the option to ignore it? It's killing me writing in 40+ artist and titles by hand :-(

The example is https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Lomax-Diego-Carpitella-Southern-Italy-And-The-Islands/release/3459577

Reply #2886
Can I resolve this somehow?

Yes, fix the release on discogs for everyone's benefit.

Releases should have dashes on track numbers, not periods. eg. A1-1, A1-2

Reply #2888

I've done that, same result.
Wait a couple hours as Discogs API caches the old version. May need to clear the foo_discogs releases cache as well.

Reply #2889

I've done that, same result.
Wait a couple hours as Discogs API caches the old version. May need to clear the foo_discogs releases cache as well.
The advice to change to dashes was incorrect, because those tracks were subtracks of songs (bands), they reverted your correction to the way it was.
Neither an audiophile, nor album snob. Why do ratings threads always have someone saying they don't believe in rating music?
Record Label Icons: 600x600 pngs appropriate for any color background:
freeimage.host/johnbuck/?list=images&sort=name_asc&page=1

Reply #2890
I'm seeing two releases:
[r3459577] gives me individual tracks for the release via discogs
[r7091878] returns two tracks with subtracks hidden

Reply #2891
I'm seeing two releases:
[r3459577] gives me individual tracks for the release via discogs
[r7091878] returns two tracks with subtracks hidden

Yes because I selfishly edited one

Reply #2893
When tagging certain vinyl rips, I have a lot of 'hidden track' issues
Although, it seems obvious, did you have tried to resolve those hidden tracks *inside* the fine component before changing the release? - see pic.
That'll help in 60%

Fuffi, thank you for this. Yes that fixed my issue. I feel like a moron for not seeing that option before (although to be fair I think I skipped the caching tab).

Apologies for all the noise over a non-issue, and thanks again Fuffi.

Subtrack/hidden track credits

Reply #2894
Hello! I've been toying with Discogs Tagger and I tried to make it fill in subtrack info. In that, I was mostly successful, except for retrieving credits on sub-track basis (i.e., using HIDDEN_TRACKS sub-object).
If I set "Parse hidden tracks as regular tracks", per-track credits just work; it's obvious that the data gets retrieved. But once I try to get them using something like
%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_CREDITS_ROLES>>%
or
%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_CREDITS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%
I immediately get an error.

However, this one works fine:
%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_CREDITS_ROLES_RAW>>%

I tried to use singular brackets, tried to address the respective fields in many ways, to no avail. Is there something I'm missing?
Other that that issue, I was able to make it tag all the subtracks/hidden tracks the way I wanted using help from your posts, guys. Thank for that!

Reply #2895
Hello, i'd like to merge RELEASE_GENRES and RELEASE_STYLES as separate values (as layd down in the array) into GENRE-Tag. I tried several variations, but always get an error.

Am i right, that there is no field in the database similar to Musicbrainz ALBUMARTiSTSORTORDER?
THX bkh

Edit: Sorry, i found the solution, THX

$extend(%<RELEASE_GENRES>%,%<RELEASE_STYLES>%)

Reply #2896
Hi all, its been a while... hope you are still happy and healthy :)

I'd like to access an artist "Edgar Wallace" or "Achim Schülke" shown via the api (https://api.discogs.com/releases/779115) (see screenshot too), but can not manage to get it via the fine component v2.23.

On the website (https://www.discogs.com/release/779115) those artists are visually shown and linked as "normal" artsts, but it seems, something is different here.

Anybody an idea, why is that and HOW do I get those information via the fine component?

Reply #2897
Am i right, that there is no field in the database similar to Musicbrainz ALBUMARTiSTSORTORDER?
Yes, as far as I have seen, the discogs database does not offer such an information.

Reply #2898
I was mostly successful, except for retrieving credits on sub-track basis (i.e., using HIDDEN_TRACKS sub-object).
I try to get them using something like
%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_CREDITS_ROLES>>%
or
%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_CREDITS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%
I immediately get an error.

However, this one works fine:
%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_CREDITS_ROLES_RAW>>%
I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure, I understand, what exactly data you want to retreive.
So it might be possible, my answer has nothing to do with your problem :-)

My formatting strings look like this (not sure atm, if those are default or my own...):

ARTIST:
$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,$joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$join($unique($extend($array($joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%)),$joinnames(%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%,%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%))),' / '))

TITLE:
$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,%TRACK_TITLE%,$join($extend($array(%TRACK_TITLE%),%<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_TITLE>%),' / '))

Other than that, I have not used any *HIDDEN_TRACKS* references in my formatting strings and I have not missed any important information in my tags. Until now :-)

Maybe you point out, what information exactly you want to get, i.e. name/link a release and show us what you want.

Reply #2899
Hi all, its been a while... hope you are still happy and healthy :)

I'd like to access an artist "Edgar Wallace" or "Achim Schülke" shown via the api (https://api.discogs.com/releases/779115) (see screenshot too), but can not manage to get it via the fine component v2.23.

On the website (https://www.discogs.com/release/779115) those artists are visually shown and linked as "normal" artsts, but it seems, something is different here.

Anybody an idea, why is that and HOW do I get those information via the fine component?
That information could be exposed under TRACK_INDEXTRACK_ARTIST_*, but it's not currently supported.