Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC v1.2.1b Bundle for Windows issue (Read 5285 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC v1.2.1b Bundle for Windows issue

FLAC v1.2.1b Bundle for Windows issue: Version info is incorrect and complete re-write of file

These are the issues:
* In this first issue when viewing the file properties in Foobar2000 it will list the incorrect version info as "reference libFLAC 1.1.0 20030126" when I've insured I've encoded with "reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917", and I know for with certainty I can't and couldn't use any older FLAC version like that because those prior to v1.2.1 didn't like my computer at all. I've even re-downloaded the FLAC v1.2.1b Bundle for Windows ("flac-1.2.1b.exe") and overwritten/overinstalled what I already had and it's still the same.

I've noticed that it only happens if I use the FLAC Bundle for Windows that comes with Speeks FLAC frontend to do the encoding. After I complete tagging an album in Foobar2000, and then look in the Properties it will list the incorrect version information. Now here's what's strange if I do all of the encoding via Foobar2000 I don't run into this issue at all! So I'd suppose there's some tagging component in the FLAC bundle responsible for this?

* In this second issue I've noticed that Foobar2000 is doing what I think is a complete re-write of the flac's - remember these are the problem flac's with the wrong version info in them. First I can change a few simple text in the tags and it will update them very fast. Then when for instance applying ReplayGain or inputting additional tag info I had forget it will take forever to update the tags.

I've also did some very brief testing by encoding via Foobar2000 and haven't yet ran into the issue with it wanting to completely re-write the whole file when tagging.

So am I to assume there are issues with the FLAC v1.2.1b Bundle for Windows causing all of this? I've been using it for years and never bothered once to look at the properties before in Foobar2000 until the other day, and then thought that along with the very slow tagging/complete file re-write could be somehow related.

Reply #1
How do you encode? Do you use the frontend, command line, EAC, etc.? How comes you are so sure you've used FLAC 1.2.1? If you for some reason use 1.1.0, the second problem is related because in FLAC 1.1.3 default padding size was increased.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #2
Update: I've completely dumped using the bundle and have switched to solely using Foobar2000 for all the encoding now since it doesn't cause any of the issues I was facing.

-----------

To answer your questions:
I encoded using the FLAC Frontend which came with the Windows bundle.

I know I was using 1.2.1b because that's what I downloaded from the FLAC downloads on SourceForge, plus I even checked the version number by running the command to see the version using flac.exe.

I was thinking some tagging component in the 1.2.1b bundle may be using some older libflac compile or something along those lines to cause the issues.

Reply #3
I encoded using the FLAC Frontend which came with the Windows bundle.
Then I think there might be an older version of FLAC somewhere on your computer. I have been busy with FLAC 1.3.0 pre-releases and had some binaries all over the place (My Documents for example) and for some reason FLAC Frontend chose those over the bundled ones. The next version of FLAC frontend will fix this. You might want to do a search for flac.exe's just to solve the mystery. Sorry, you said you checked the command line output. Then I really don't know what is causing this.

Tagging components shouldn't touch the vendor string.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #4
The old frontend has its issues but it's not changing the encoder string of your files. It seems to be somewhat buggy and it doesn't specify the paths to the command line tools it uses, so if you have old flac.exe in your system search path, it gets used. Run a search for flac.exe on your machine and remove all old versions you can find.

Reply #5
I have only ever had flac.exe installed in two locations:
C:\AudioApps\FLAC
C:\Program Files\foobar2000

Now it's just down to only being in the Foobar2000 folder.

I don't know what caused it but it is definitely something inside that bundle causing it, and it will only rear its ugly head if changing/updating the tags in say Foobar2000, and then the version/vendor string gets changed for whatever reason. Anyways like I've already stated in a previous post I moved to using Foobar2000 for the encoding, therefore I'm done with this topic now.