Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Crossfade without fade in (only fade out) (Read 3664 times) previous topic - next topic

Crossfade without fade in (only fade out)

Hi,

I would like to establish the following:

When the audio level at the end of a track drops below a certain threshold, the next track is started, without doing a fade in of the next track.
So the last (soft) sound can be heard below the start of the next track.

The important thing is that the next track should NOT be faded in, but start at normal level.
It would be nice when the first track is faded out in a configurable amount of time after that the next track has started.

In my opinion this is the best sounding transition between to track's, and also how it is done on the radio.

Does anyone know how to establish this?

If not, this is definitely a feature request !!

Thanks!
Vincent

Reply #1
I don't know about foobar, but there is a SqrSoft plugin for Winamp that can do that.  I've got it configured like you want with an overlap instead of a true crossfade.  (I call that a "traditional DJ crossfade", or a "radio crossfade".)

It's got lots of configuration options...  You can set the threshold, turn-on or turn-off the fade-in or fade-out, adjust the fade curves & time (if you are using the fade), etc.

Reply #2
I see this has been moved to the foobar forum, but your post itself doesn't actually mention foobar. So I'll mention this: If you don't need it done automatically, pretty much any audio editor (Audacity, Audition, GoldWave, etc.) has the capability to fade out and mix tracks in whatever way you'd like.

Reply #3
@SLKS:

Of course this question is meant regarding the Foobar playlist playback, where the crossfade plugin does not offer the desired functionality.

So you could see this as a feature request for more functionality for the crossfade plugin.

Reply #4
OP, I believe there's a DSP called Continuer or something similar that you might find interesting.

Also, have you tried the fading capabilities present at Preferences > Playback > Output when your playback device is DS?

Reply #5
look for either 'gapless crossfader' or 'continuator' plugins. The default fading options in DirectSound playback could suffice though.

Reply #6
I'm no expert and I'd love someone to prove me wrong but I don't think it's possible to play two tunes at the same time in foobar.

You can test out what you propose to do using this program. Time Limited Demo Version

* waits 1/2 hour *

Don't know about you but that doesn't really sound very good does it? Not often enough to be worthwhile anyway.

You need to be able to beat match the two tunes or it sounds crap.

Reply #7
Eek. The abject humiliation. The info in post # 7 is not so much misleading as plain wrong. To make matters worse I can no longer edit it.

Using even the standard crossfader tracks can overlap by up to 2 secs provided the buffer length is large enough.

Sorry about that.     

Re: Crossfade without fade in (only fade out)

Reply #8
Just posted more-or-less the same thing in the "scientific" part of the forum under topic Smart Cross(fade). Please join the discussion.