Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert flac to mp3 and save directly to mobile phone? (Read 902 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert flac to mp3 and save directly to mobile phone?

After just 11 years of lurking it is time for a first post ;-) I have tried to search this subject out but couldn't find a use case like mine. Maybe my search skills are failing me?

I would like to set up a quick convert setting to convert albums from my flac collection to mp3 and put the files directly on my phone, but the convert plugin doesn't want to show my phone in the file system. No idea why, could this have something to do with 32 vs 64 bit software? Running win10 64bit and trying to transfer to a Nokia 8 android phone connected via USB. Or am I missing the obvious way to do this?

Best wishes, Jonas

Re: Convert flac to mp3 and save directly to mobile phone?

Reply #1
Maybe the phone is not connected properly? All my android phones connect by USB and default to charge only. To copy files I have to manually switch the phone to file transfer mode before it will become visible in the PC file system.

Reply #2
That is the strange thing. The OS can see the unit just fine, and copying files to the phone in the OS is not a problem. But when I try to choose destination in the convert plugin, the phone is not there to be selected. I also tried to just key in the path manually, but that doesn't work either.

Reply #3
IIRC:
Newer Android has removed the "USB Mass Storage" connection option, and usually go for the "Media Transfer Protocol". Which means you cannot mount as drive and choose it as destination the usual way.

There are workarounds, and I got one of them to work with my previous phone. Not exactly sure which one - could have been http://www.mtpdrive.com/ .
Maybe have a look at https://www.guidingtech.com/39472/map-android-drive-windows/ ?

Reply #4
Your Nokia most probably is connected in MTP mode which doesn't provide direct mount as external drive.
Check the notification icon while connected via the USB cable which allows you to switch connection modes, if there's not by chance the old mass storage option.

There's OneWaySync foobar plugin which eventually might add support for MTP protocol. If not here's a tiny app that works for me, but you'll need a rooted phone tho....

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-universal-mass-storage-enabler-beta-t3240097/amp/?espv=1

Reply #5
Thank you for the suggestions. I suppose this is MTP only then yes. Only an option "Transfer files" and no USB mass storage. Tried fiddling with the OneWaySync and the plugin detects the unit fine, but did throw copy errors every time I attempt to transfer something. I looked over all parameters a bit more and it turned out that the path to lame.exe was wrong. It was set to c:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\lame.exe instead of c:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components\lame.exe. Updated that and corrected the path to the Music folder on the phone and lo and behold! The transfer worked! So I guess that the component do indeed support MTP and my problem is solved without fiddling with extra software, excellent!

Thank you all for the pointers :)