Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External Tags (Read 81200 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: External Tags

Reply #125
Released a new version with changed sorting so Properties dialog displays the tracks in subsong order. Also fixed bug preventing committing tags to files with multiple subsongs.

Reply #126
It seems that 1.07 has a regression:  the version info for 1.05 states "Editing external tags no longer needs to reload info from the tracks;"  however, with version 1.07 selecting a radio stream that already has an APEv2 external tag and choosing "Edit external tags" will cause a reload info operation every time before displaying the properties window.  On the same stream, just choosing "Properties" will not reload info on its own.  May have started with 1.06, but only noticed until now after going to 1.07.

Reply #127
The change log entry refers to a different behavior. The component used to call the "Tagging" -> "Reload info from file(s)" context command on the tracks after writing the external tags. That operation was annoying when tagging thousands of files as it could be rather slow with regular mechanical hard drives. That reload requirement was eliminated by informing the player about new tagtype with other means.

I actually tried to make stream tagging faster in newer versions by changing get_full_info_ref() function to just get_info_ref() for streams. The first one will reload info from files if it's not all cached and the latter shouldn't. But it seems accessing stream infos is still slow.

Reply #128
Thanks Case for the explanation.  As I understand it then, the changelog entry meant that the reload info call was just eliminated in cases of initially creating the external tag, not when going back to it later to change/add data and using the "Edit External Tags" menu selection.

This leads  me to a related question.  So when editing an already created APEv2 external tag for a stream, is there any difference/preference in doing so via the "Edit External Tags" choice which first does a reload info prior to bringing up Properties, or by just selecting "Properties" right off?  Is the first choice really only needed when the tag is being initially created?

Reply #129
For local files there's no difference once a file has external tag and decoder priorities are set correctly. For streams there is. Unless the stream link is wrapped opening normal properties dialog won't call any tag saving routines. All edits will just be ignored.

Reply #130
Thank you that is good information to know that I was unaware of.  Unwrapped stream (as all of mine currently are), use Edit External Tags; wrapped stream, just Properties.

Reply #131
I'm testing ET 1.0.7 now and the previously reported bug is gone. However not fully stable yet, external tags from CUE playlist not all transfer to output files on conversion (all ext. tags are used for filename scheme during conversion). Just the metadata transfer fails case by case.

Reply #132
I had to rewrite the wrapping logic to fix that but frankly it was stupidly implemented earlier. CUE inputs should now work with Converter. The rewrite also allowed me to remove old HLS stream related hack I had in place.

Reply #133
Case, maybe the wrapping function should be available only after applying the "Edit External Tags" ?
Otherwise, if you applied the wrapping before, then how to unwrap it back !? Only through the use of "Edit External Tags", and then "Remove External Tags".

Reply #134
There were probably some reasons early on to have wrapping always available, but I see no need for that anymore either.

Reply #135
There appears to be a serious problem in the latest version of External Tags (v1.0.9). After tagging a set of files, the tags of the last file in the current playlist are repeated for anything subsequently added to it.

I'm using the default settings of External Tags on a clean portable installation of foobar2000 v1.4.1, with the decoders at the top of the priority list (writer first, reader second).  Reproduction steps:

1. Make sure you have the External Tags writer at the top of the decoder list, and the reader in second place
2. Make sure External Tags settings are default (Use only APE tags, "Store APE tags in Alternate Data Streams [...]" off)
3. Load a set of audio files into a blank playlist
4. Select the files in the playlist, right-click them and go into Properties
5. Assign a new tag to them
6. Add a new set of files to the playlist

The tracks you add in step 6 will all have the same tags as that of the last item loaded in step 3.

While I'm here, can I ask how "use only APE tags" works? I.e., what does it use to identify a file/track? Does it use common tags like artist/album/title? I looked in the .tag file in the foobar2000 configuration folder, but couldn't see any path references or other possible identifiers.

Also, can we have back individual file tags, instead of only folder tags?

Reply #136
@Nisto : Have you tried to select, Shift+right-click, Tagging, "Reload info from file(s)"? Still it seems I sometimes have to do that.

Under fb2k's Preferences > Advanced > Tagging > External tags, select an "APE tags" option rather than "folder tags".

Reply #137
@Nisto : Have you tried to select, Shift+right-click, Tagging, "Reload info from file(s)"? Still it seems I sometimes have to do that.

Under fb2k's Preferences > Advanced > Tagging > External tags, select an "APE tags" option rather than "folder tags".

Yeah, tried it. That doesn't help.

If I use an "APE tags" option (at least "Use only APE tags"), the component seems to only write a single .tag file in a folder called "external-tags" inside the foobar2000 configuration folder. What I want is for it to write a respective .tag file for each audio file, like you could in earlier versions of External Tags. That makes it easier to rename folders, copy files around, etc. without losing associated tags.

Reply #138
Sorry, seems I accidentally broke the original intented behavior. You can circumvent the problem by using the Tagging -> Edit external tags context command instead of Properties for now.

Reply #139
Fixed version uploaded.

Reply #140
It works! Thanks for the update.

Reply #141
Another small bug (for APE tags at least): with files that has subsongs, when you remove tags from a selected set of files, only the tags in the first selected item are removed. Same when adding/editing tags.

Also, hate to be nitpicking, but I notice External Tags writes an "external-tags.db" file in the fb2k configuration folder even when not using SQLite. Any way to avoid this?

Reply #142
Hopefully fixed.

Reply #143
Hmm. It seems to have fixed adding/editing tags, but removing still only removes the tags from the top item in a selection (both when I go to Tools -> Remove tags in the Properties window, and when I manually select all the tags and remove them via Delete key or context menu).

The tag data being written when removing all tags doesn't contain any subsong references. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Reply #144
I misunderstood what you meant by tag removal. I thought you were removing external tags. Wiping old tag contents means External Tags needs to write a tag with no contents. That works for me when I select everything in Properties and hit delete.

Reply #145
Case, what formats are you working with, that has subsongs? Here's what happens with GBS files for me:

Reply #146
I was testing with FLAC and my file had ReplayGain info, which doesn't get removed the way I wiped the tags. A version that allows writing blank subsong info into APE tags is now out.

Hitting the Remove tags button worked as you expect with gbs files which don't support native tagging, but when I hit it with an MP3 file foobar bypassed the External Tags and actually removed the tags from the MP3 file. So be careful.

Reply #147
Seem the component doesn't work properly for the following webradio links:
Code: [Select]
http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac
http://radio-paralax.de:8000/;9623928300546054stream.nsv
http://relay-chi.gameowls.com/all.ogg?1:iXuQ4MxIpy
https://radio.kamchatkalive.ru:8103/chillout
Check, please. Thanks.

Reply #148
Hi Sergey77:  what exactly isn't working properly for you with those links?  I have an external tag on the Intense Radio FLAC link which works fine, but I made it several versions ago, not with 1.0.12--do the problems start with that version?  I just updated to it and don't want to start using it if it has an issue as I have many external tags for streams (all APEv2 only).  BTW I don't have an external tag on Radio Kamchatka Live Chillout but that's my favorite chillout stream, you have good taste :)

Reply #149
Hi! sveakul, thanks! :)
For all these 4 links, the "ExternalAPEv2" tag type is not saved after the start of playback. I think this behavior occurred earlier than version 1.0.12.
Does this link work fine for you? http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac
For some reason my playback is interrupted for that link.