Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What OPUS bitrate for Bluetooth 4.2 (AptX) streaming? (Read 2545 times) previous topic - next topic

What OPUS bitrate for Bluetooth 4.2 (AptX) streaming?

Hi.

What is the lowest OPUS sample rate I could use with Bluetooth 4.2?  Obviously it is not worth encoding at VBR192.  The headphones are not much cop either but I need to put my entire library on my phone for use with these headphones for a short while.

Thanks.

Re: What OPUS bitrate for Bluetooth 4.2 (AptX) streaming?

Reply #1
We do not know the size of your music library is or the storage size available on your phone. I'd suggest searching for a bitrate calculator online and experiment with the duration of your library and bitrate until you are at an acceptable file size. That will let you know the maximum bitrate at which you could encode your library while still fitting it on your phone.
More practically, encode a few songs at various levels, listen on your phone and/or with those headphones and see if you find it acceptable.

Reply #2
Here is a calculator for anyone needing similar functionality:
Enter duration, pick a bitrate and see the file size - https://www.colincrawley.com/audio-file-size-calculator/
Enter disk space, pick a bitrate and see the max duration - https://www.colincrawley.com/audio-duration-calculator/

Of course, if you are using VBR the numbers will drift slightly depending on the material, so allow a little extra room.

Reply #3
Hi.

My library is 265GB.  Do you think I could get this down to 32gb using opus? 

I only need this Opus library for use via bluetooth and the headphones are nothing special just some August £30 jobbies. 

Reply #4
I just used Dbpoweramp to rip and track and then I moved it onto my P9 phone but the OS just not recognised it as a music file and Neutron doesn't want to play it.

I've just tried Foobar mobile and it is working fine.