Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC-produced FLAC tags truncated when converting to LAME MP3 (Read 3510 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC-produced FLAC tags truncated when converting to LAME MP3

Hello, all.

I am sure this problem has come up before, but I'll be damned if I can find the fix after looking through the forums for the last 30 mins. or so.

I am using EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC using the following tagging option in EAC:

-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

I am then *trying* to use Foobar 2000 0.9.2 to convert the resulting FLACs to LAME MP3s.

The problem is... my FLAC (Vorbis) tags are being truncated. As an example, the tagging of this FLAC file goes from:

Title: Move (You're Steppin' On My Heart)
Album: Dreamgirls: Original Broadway Cast Album

to:

Title: Move (You're Steppin' On My He
Album: Dreamgirls: Original Broadway

after I convert the EAC FLAC to a Foobar2000 MP3.

What can I do to ensure that I don't lose the tagging beyond this 30-character limit? Surely it's an easy fix?

Thank you.

Reply #1
What can I do to ensure that I don't lose the tagging beyond this 30-character limit? Surely it's an easy fix?

Use ID3v2 tags. ID3v1 are limited to 30 characters per tag field.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=ID3v1.1

Reply #2
So, is there a command line option for LAME that will write V.2 tags? LAME is definitely defaulting to V.1 I am sure when it is converting the FLACs for me.

Well, I thought the line:

--id3v2-only

would do it, but I am still getting truncation. What is going on?

Reply #3
You don't need to use LAME tagging commands. Foobar2000 should, by default, write id3v2 tags if they don't fit in v1's limitations. Check the tagging options in 'preferences > advanced'. If you right click on an mp3, then select 'properties' it should tell you what tag versions are in the file.

If you are viewing the tag info in a program other than foobar2000, you might not see the id3v2 tags because it writes id3v2.4, whereas many programs don't support above id3v2.3.

To answer your question in the other thread you made about this same topic: ''I am not sure if it's now a LAME question, or a FLAC one, or an EAC one.'' -- it's a foobar2000 question.