Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert "FLAC"-tag to "FLAC ID3v2" (Read 20052 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert "FLAC"-tag to "FLAC ID3v2"

Hi,

Mp3tag shows the files I've ripped with dBPoweramp as "FLAC (FLAC)", while the ones I've ripped with EAC (using the external flac.exe) shows up as "FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)" under the "Tag" column. How do I convert the "FLAC"-tags to "FLAC ID3v2"?

I seems like I need to do this, in order for Slimserver to correctly read the "ALBUMARTIST" tag and use this for albums with one album-artist and many track-artists. (That means, it behaves correctly when the files are ID3v2, otherwise not.)

Reply #1
Perhaps Slimserver is looking for the tag 'albumartist' not 'album artist' as we write (for FLAC), simply install the [ID Tag Update] codec, then set a tag mapping of 'album artist' to 'albumartist', test on 1 file, if works do for all.

Reply #2
I've tried ALBUMARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST and even TPE2 with the files that have "FLAC (FLAC)"-tag. Neither works. If I add ALBUMARTIST to files with ID3v2, slimserver manages the file correctly.

Spoon: I downloaded the codec, but can't figure out how to map "album artist" to "albumartist". Will the updater change the tag format to ID3v2?

Reply #3
have you asked on the slimdevices forums yet?  I'd be surprised if there is no equivalent flac tag.

id3v2 on flac files is bad practice as they may not work with other players.

Reply #4
You can update to ID3v2, but as Jcoalson says, check the normal flac tag out first.

Reply #5
have you asked on the slimdevices forums yet?  I'd be surprised if there is no equivalent flac tag.

id3v2 on flac files is bad practice as they may not work with other players.

Weird. I've just used EAC + the flac.exe file, how come it produces "bad practice"? According to the slimserver forums the ALBUMARTIST tag should work for flac-tags also.

Reply #7
Ah, that figures... And of course the "bad" tags give me the desired functionality with slimserver, and the "good" ones does not :/

How do I re-tag the good ones to be bad? I could not see that option in [ID Tag Update], spoon.

Reply #8
You would go Start >> Programs >> dBpoweamp Music Converter >> Configuration >> dBpoweramp Configuration

Codecs Tab >> Advanced  and configure the FLAC tagging option to write ID3v2 tags

Then use ID Tag Update (with no options within) and the tags are rewritten to the chosen format.

You would go Start >> Programs >> dBpoweamp Music Converter >> Configuration >> dBpoweramp Configuration

Codecs Tab >> Advanced  and configure the FLAC tagging option to write ID3v2 tags

Then use ID Tag Update (with no options within) and the tags are rewritten to the chosen format.

Reply #9
it's worth trying ENSEMBLE and BAND and seeing if the slimserver accepts either for album artist.  I've run into FLAC files tagged with both of these for album artist before.

Reply #10
Tried this for one album, and now Mp3tag shows Tag: "ID3v2", but not "FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)" like the albums ripped by EAC. What is the difference between these? Also all the tags are now blank (!).

Edit: With "this" I mean the routine spoon presented.
Edit2: I've retagged this album, and added the ALBUMARTIST tag, and now the album is "FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)". So thats probably because I'm using a FLAC-tag (ALBUMARTIST) on a ID3v2 tag?

Reply #12
I have

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=" %s -o %d

In addition to the "add ID3 tag" checked. This is the reason for my "bad" tags, I guess.

Reply #14
Even though its a bad soulution, letting dBPoweramp change the tag to ID3v2, and then re-tagging the files, lets me use slimserver like I want. But is there no way of preserving the tags, spoon?

Reply #15
The tags are presvered, they are moved from Vorbis Comments to ID3v2.

Reply #16
Oh, this is fun! spoon wants him to use ID3v2 and greynol wants him to use FLAC tag.

I really don't think he wants ID3v2 tags on the FLAC files - As greynol said, it's a NONO. Players/devices that supports FLAC SHOULD READ FLAC tags.

This were discussed previously and I think there are some way to remove the ID3v2 tag, but I don't know how - Try a search. I'm almost sure that removing the tag will preserve at least the info you entered as the commandline parameters in EAC as these are stored as FLAC tags.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #17
greynol wants him to use FLAC tag.
I do? 

As greynol said, it's a NONO.
Hey, I'm simply quoting Josh:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=465962
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=488993
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=483418

I'm almost sure that removing the tag will preserve at least the info you entered as the commandline parameters in EAC as these are stored as FLAC tags.
He wants an ALBUMARTIST field.  Can you help him with that?

Reply #18
I'm almost sure that removing the tag will preserve at least the info you entered as the commandline parameters in EAC as these are stored as FLAC tags.
He wants an ALBUMARTIST field.  Can you help him with that?

To use with a slimserver - Why would a slimserver require non-standard tags? I think he should try to encode a few FLAC WITHOUT ID3v2 and see if it works.

I have

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=" %s -o %d

In addition to the "add ID3 tag" checked. This is the reason for my "bad" tags, I guess.

Remove the "Add ID3 tag" checkmark and add this to the line:
-T "ALBUMARTIST=%a"

This thread might be helpful to remove the ID3 tags from your current collection

Reply #19
>spoon wants him to use ID3v2

Each to their own (to me it sounds like you are shouting from 'a high horse'), I am a practical person, if the only way of getting what this guy wants (album artist) is to use an ID3v2 tag then so be it, there are hardware devices which can only display album art if an id3v2 is used (the devices do not support the latest flac picture block), would you say to them - Do not use id3v2 and have no album art? for the sake of 'correctness'?

The files are lossless, nothing is lost, at a later date the id3v2 tags can be converted to FLAC, losslessly, nothing is lost.

Note this mess all stems from there being no offical 'album artist', rating, etc on the flac home page...

Reply #20
I would be posting on the the slimdevices forum.

If it doesn't read the attribute from a FLAC tag and it should then it's a bug in the software not with the tag itself. If you raise a bug it'll get fixed in the software and for everyone that uses it

They're normally pretty good at fixing bugs over at slimdevices from my experience!

Reply #21
I would be posting on the the slimdevices forum.

If it doesn't read the attribute from a FLAC tag and it should then it's a bug in the software not with the tag itself. If you raise a bug it'll get fixed in the software and for everyone that uses it

They're normally pretty good at fixing bugs over at slimdevices from my experience!

But to me it doesn't even sound like he TRIED %albumartist% with the FLAC tag - only ID3 tag...

Reply #23
I realize this is a 7 years old thread, but I'm trying to convert Flac-tag to Flac ID3v2 (I realize people don't encourage this, but because our stream service needs ID3, the Flac Id3 does the job.)

I tried to use dbpoweramp, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Could someone help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Reply #24
dBpoweramp no longer supports it.