Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need Help! Find corrupted audio files? (Read 8536 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Help! Find corrupted audio files?

*** I know there is other post about this subject but I have read some and Im still looking for some suggestions or answers.

Hi, since a few days im tryed to transfer 400go of Audio Files (mostly .mp3) from an external hard drive (1tb western digital FAT32) to another (2tb Seagate NTFS).

The problem is that I just realise that there is maybe a hundred of corrupted audio file or so and those are freezing my transfer everytime it try to get copyed. Please let me tell you.. this is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. It happen all the time, and each time I have to open task manager and end the process of the transfer, then my EHD is crashing then I have to unplug the power of it and replug it. Then I go search for the corrupted files and delete them manualy.

Now*
1. For transfering I was using the software 'TeraCopy Pro 2.27' then now I am trying one called 'RichCopy V4,0,217,0'
(Although they have the options to ignore corrupted files, well its not working, whatever I do its just stop there at the corrupted file)

2. I have try MANY software that propose to find/scan audio for corrupted files: Mp3 Checker, Mp3 Diag, Mp3val, TrackErr, HoffmanUtility and many more. They either are extremely slow to scan or they crash when scanning a corrupted file.

Ive been reading on a lot of forum, making some effort trying to find that software. I only need one thing: a software that scan all your selected folders which contains all the audio file collection, then pointing out the one that look corrupted (Because I know it cannot be 100% precise, but it doesnt matter to me) so I can manualy delete the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciate!! I am open to any ideas. Above fixing that, the important for me is to learn computer stuff how they work.

Reply #2
IIUC you are experiencing lookups while just plain copying your audio files from one drive to another. The copying process has no knowledge of what kind of file it is copying, it handles just files on a filesystem. IMO your filesystem is corrupted, you should run some sort of filesystem check and repair. That tool should take care of all corrupted files (from the filesystem POW), either delete them, copy them to a separate directory, or something else.

A corrupted audio file can still be a proper file from the filesystem POW which would be copyied over (i.e. read/written) without any problem (which is not your case).

Reply #3
I have scanned my computer with sfc /scannow in Command Prompt and found no corruption. When I think about it, it might be my first external harddrive which is really old that must have something wrong with. When I finish all the transfers and have the files backup, I will try formating it.

* For the corrupted files scanner software, Im still looking for one but it have to be compatible with WINDOWS 7.

* phofman, I see you love to use a lot of acronym, could you precise what does mean IIUC and POW (I even looked in the acronym dictionnary and nothing made sense with computer lol)

Thanks

Reply #4
I have scanned my computer with sfc /scannow in Command Prompt and found no corruption. When I think about it, it might be my first external harddrive which is really old that must have something wrong with. When I finish all the transfers and have the files backup, I will try formating it.

* For the corrupted files scanner software, Im still looking for one but it have to be compatible with WINDOWS 7.

ForceBalance,

sfc / scannow doesn't check or care about your data. It has nothing to do with your external drives or music files. It only checks your operating system files.

You don't need any extra software. Just use chkdsk built into Windows. Start an administrator command prompt and type "chkdsk /r d:". Replace d with the drive letter of your external drive.  It will take a long time. If it finds any bad sectors then your external drive is faulty. In this case the corrupted files are likely lost.

Reply #5
The foobar2000 media player rebuild MP3 stream and than check for integrity. But before this CHKDSK your original WD for errors.
Listening to music is the best pastime.