Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Autosave & Autobackup (foo_jesus) (Read 169486 times) previous topic - next topic

Autosave & Autobackup (foo_jesus)

Reply #50
Hi all, I've just uploaded version 7 of the component, featuring configurable directory for backups, ZIP compression and some fixes. Enjoy.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #51
awesome, thanks again.
just tested the alternate directory, works great.
and about a 75% reduction in the .zip file size (for me anyways).

Reply #52
Thanks for compression! (8MB to 1,5MB without noticeable performance drain).
I have a question tho, would it be possible to add relative paths? If I tried to use "..\backup" it gives me:
Autobackup error: Could not open/create destination directory.

Reply #53
Jesus.
Download v8, should work now.

Reply #54
FYI - the download link for foo_jesus-v8.zip in your first post actually still points to v7...
np: 4'33"

Reply #56
FYI - the download link for foo_jesus-v8.zip in your first post actually still points to v7...
Thanks, corrected. That's what making releases fully dressed up in the last few minutes before going outside does to people. 

Reply #57
Thx Yirkha, the databases and playlists are compressed a lot.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #58
Hi Yirkha,

I save my .M3U playlists in a network collection at \\server\music\zplaylists so that things like XBOXs and other laptops can access my playlists.

Is there a way to configure foo_jesus so that it can backup these playlists too?  They are autoplaylists which are always open in Foobar and I have saved in that directory, but when I use the file->save_configuration command they are not automatically saved (I assume because Foobar is backing up the .FPL playlist saved in the foobar\playlists directory).  Is it possible to change this?

Thank you.

Reply #59
Thanks for the plugin, kind of disappointing that 1.0 was released without this. Can't remember how many playlist changes have been lost because of no autosave.

Reply #60
Feature Request!  Plz consider this. this is  i think very important.  i see that by default the "autobackup" folder contains 2 compressed backups of the configuration, playlists etc.  . 

however these 2 back ups are the 2 most recent ones.  since i use foobar everyday they are usually the backups of yesterday and the day before. 
i think its necessary to have a "last month" or "last 2 weeks" backup included in the autobackup folder because very often my playlists are modified erroneously and i only notice it a few days later.  for instance today i noticed that my "favorite rock" playlist was missing quite a few songs that were  deleted by mistake a few days ago. (sometimes foobar overwrites playlists without notice if youre not careful)  this is all lost because the autobackup only contains 2 very very recent backups. 

plz include in autobackup;

1-most recent
2-second most recent
3-last 2 weeks
4-last month

(3 and 4 could be optional and configurable) but i think this is very very important and could save so many headaches. 
otherwise THANKS for this already great plugin!!

Reply #61
If you truly do use it every day like you say, I'd think that you would discover such issues well before a month goes by.

Reply #62
thats not really the point. the point is to have a 3rd or 4th option that are at least a week older than the most recent, and second most recent backups. a guy like me who uses foobar everyday, and sometimes twice a day, could screw up his playlists//config in 24 hours. sometimes i use foobar a little in the morning. then i close it. then i do some more foobaring in the evening.  lets say on the 24th i make a mistake that i discover on the 25th or 26th, then im doomed because there wont be any backups taken on the 24th.  everything gets erased. Thats why a week at least would be so much safer.

Reply #63
part of the reason why a setting was added to allow more backups.
disk is cheap;  there is also the option to switch to a partition with more space.
i keep 30 backups myself, at 10MB's each only amounts to 300MB...not a huge cost at all.
obviously it will depend on your save interval as to how many days worth of backups that might capture.

Reply #64
Do I alter the store of .zips to like 'D:autobackup'

Also post-crisis, how are the files activated....

Reply #65
Do I alter the store of .zips to like 'D:autobackup'
Yes.
* Directory where to store the backup .zip files
Specifies directory for the automatically created backups of the files and folders set above. If it doesn't exists, the component will attempt to create it. Can be either a relative path (in the fb2k's profile directory) or absolute, e.g. for storing the backups on external/remote disk.
Default value: autobackup

Also post-crisis, how are the files activated....
You have to extract/copy the relevant files from the backup .zip archive yourself to their correct places, replacing the damaged ones. Generally to the "profile folder", which can be opened from fb2k in Preferences > General.

Reply #67
Woo! Love this plugin now as i just had to use it for real. I'm not sure what it is with foobar but every 6 months or so I load it up and it somehow has lost/corrupted its configuration (particularly columns ui). No more pain of setting up all my playlists and colours again. Thanks a bunch.

Reply #68
foo_jesus saves an automatic backup each time I start foobar2000. Could there be an option to switch that behaviour off?

My foobar is configured to resume playback after restarting it and due to a very large media library and a lot of huge playlists it splutters the first seconds otherwise.

Thank you for this plugin, Yirkha.

Autosave & Autobackup v8 (2010/01/03), f2k v1.0.1
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #69
Hi Yirkha,

I save my .M3U playlists in a network collection at \\server\music\zplaylists so that things like XBOXs and other laptops can access my playlists.

Is there a way to configure foo_jesus so that it can backup these playlists too?  They are autoplaylists which are always open in Foobar and I have saved in that directory, but when I use the file->save_configuration command they are not automatically saved (I assume because Foobar is backing up the .FPL playlist saved in the foobar\playlists directory).  Is it possible to change this?

Thank you.

I am looking for this same functionality... to periodically save autoplaylists as m3u playlists on a network drive.  Does anyone know a way to do this?

Thanks!

Reply #70
foo_jesus saves an automatic backup each time I start foobar2000. Could there be an option to switch that behaviour off?

i'll second this one. would be nice to have the option to disable the backup on startup.  or maybe an option to force backups not to run within a certain time threshold of startup.

it seems to slow down the full startup of foobar for me also - large library db and lots of playlists.

i've tried messing around with timing thresholds in the options and disabling others, doesn't seem to have any effect.
even if foobar is opened, backup runs and then close and re-open moments later the backup will run again.

Reply #71
OK, I've released version 9 with even lower priority of the backup thread, which might help some, the default period for initial backup set to 1 minute instead of ~10 seconds, which might help more, and an user configuration option to alter that period, which must help everybody affected by anything. See the updated first post for details.

Hopefully this is the last version of the component again.

Reply #72
Changelog:
  v9 [2010/04/20]
    - New: Option for setting delay of the first backup after startup.
    - Fixed: Even lower priority for the backup thread.

Thank you for v9.

Robertina.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #73
double thanks, tried it last night.
start up times are dramatically improved.

Reply #74
Thanks for the extra configuration for start-up. It really makes sense not to back-up before you have a chance to see that everything is OK (for example after you just restored something).
It is perfect .. for now 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.