Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: understanding DTS (Read 6449 times) previous topic - next topic

understanding DTS

I just installed a m-audio 2496. I also installed foobar.
Using SPDIF
I downloaded a 44100 test dts audio file.
When I play it in foobar I hear it well and the info at the bottom says dts 44100khz. But my yamaha receiver only shows it playing like a 2 channel.
If the sound is DTS encoded shouldn't it show it like multichannel?
When I play a movie with AC3 the amp does show it like multichannel.
Please explain

understanding DTS

Reply #1
You probably need to set foobar to make sure your receiver is being told to output 5.1

On my Onkyo receiver these are called "listening modes", and are set independently for each input.
elevatorladylevitateme

understanding DTS

Reply #2
If it could help others here is what I did

To enable dts 44110 audio passthrough
In M-audio control panel make sure in hardware spdif settings, mode is set to professional and data type to non-audio.

For WMP go to tools options devices speakers. properties and make sure to choose directsound delta ap spdif in sound playback.
check play wm audio professional content...
performance I checked 24bit

In Foobar make sure not to use the foo_dts.dll

understanding DTS

Reply #3
If it could help others here is what I did

To enable dts 44110 audio passthrough
In M-audio control panel make sure in hardware spdif settings, mode is set to professional and data type to non-audio.

For WMP go to tools options devices speakers. properties and make sure to choose directsound delta ap spdif in sound playback.
check play wm audio professional content...
performance I checked 24bit

In Foobar make sure not to use the foo_dts.dll

To expand on this: My understanding is foo_dts.dll is for *decoding* DTS in foobar prior to passing it on downstream; so if you want to output the undecoded , raw bitstream of a .dts file
to an external decoder (such as in a modern AV receiver), you don't use it.  You do have to use foo_spdif, though (or at least, I   do).

understanding DTS

Reply #4
Plus, unless the file says so, DTS tracks don't have to be 5.1 as far as I'm aware.