Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI error when playing audio in event mode (Read 1591 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI error when playing audio in event mode

Hi,

i'm using a dac and looked to playaudio via wasapi since the ASIO playback would constantly change the sample rate of my dac and break applications everytime. But now that I want to use WASAPI in event mode, i get the error "Unrecoverable playback error: Device in use" even though i have no audio whatsoever playing in any other application. Is there a way to see all the open WASAPI sessions to fix this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: WASAPI error when playing audio in event mode

Reply #1
Hi,

i'm using a dac and looked to playaudio via wasapi since the ASIO playback would constantly change the sample rate of my dac and break applications everytime. But now that I want to use WASAPI in event mode, i get the error "Unrecoverable playback error: Device in use" even though i have no audio whatsoever playing in any other application. Is there a way to see all the open WASAPI sessions to fix this issue ?

Thanks in advance.
If you have crashed the driver for your DAC (which happens to me in ASIO), you may need to power down the DAC and make sure it's connected to your computer. I've even had to restart to get this cleared up. It's why I just don't use ASIO anymore.

Reply #2
i can't power it down sadly, it's a scarlett 2I2, i had the driver crash by simply changing sample rate in a DAW once, so i don't think i'll be able to use the ASIO output

Reply #3
okay, i found why it it not working, my dac has a sample rate of 192k and the stream is 44.1 for example, i will need to clock down the dac to 44.1 for it to work, is there a workaround to read said content with the dac clocked 192k as it is beneficial for latency ?

Reply #4
Maybe not the best solution, resample to 192k using Foobar's RetroArch DSP?

Reply #5
it does work but it relies on a DSP, I wonder if there's a more "solid" fix to my problem. Thanks for the advice nonetheless.

Reply #7
i have the same issue in push mode, i just want to avoid using the directsound that windows uses. the real problem here is unsolvable it seems as changing the sample rate on my dac makes the asio driver crash

Reply #8
The default Foobar output is WASAPI Shared. My understanding is that ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive (event and push) send the source to the sound device "as is" or bit-perfect/bit-exact. If you don't mind tinkering, maybe you can try alternative ASIO drivers:
https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO
https://www.asio4all.org/
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Multichannel-ASIO-DirectShow-Renderer (2.0 is free)
There may be others, and I'm not even sure these will work with Foobar. Of course native drivers are usually preferable, that's why I haven't tested these. My Creative ASIO drivers have been very stable/reliable (I've only ever used ASIO for playback anyway).

Reply #9
Sure, I will try these out. I'll let you know how it goes. thank you very much.