Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Riping a Live cd with EAC (Read 3784 times) previous topic - next topic

Riping a Live cd with EAC

Hi Folks,

I'm ripping a lot of cd's in mp3 with EAC+Lame...Recently I've been confronted with a live cd and I totally failed, quality is ok as usual but the problem is those gaps when I play them back through Winamp or my Ipod...There's no perfect transition between mp3's like it is on the original cd...
Can someone help me with a full tutorial on how to rip it correctly...
I read a couple of things about small silence added when converted in mp3 but none seemed perfectly clear...
So to finally resume : I Put a live cd in EAC, detect the gaps and ???

Thanks a lot guys...

Reply #1
the problem is those gaps when I play them back through Winamp or my Ipod...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329860"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since you are using an iPod you'll have to rip the entire cd as a single track. In EAC you choose:

Action > Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet > Compressed  (I think?)

This will give you one big mp3 file for the entire live cd.

Reply #2
Since you are using an iPod you'll have to rip the entire cd as a single track. In EAC you choose:

Action > Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet > Compressed  (I think?)

This will give you one big mp3 file for the entire live cd.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't tried it myself, but the standard workaround for iPods not being capable of gapless playback is to rip as a single track (as dub_doctor suggests) and then to insert chapter marks in the audio file using Apple's "Chapter Tool".  These chapter marks give you the ability to skip from track to track, whilst still maintaining gapless.

A guide for doing this on the Mac is here: [a href="http://gapless.itunes.wanderingfocus.com/]http://gapless.itunes.wanderingfocus.com/[/url]

But this is for AAC only - I don't think it's possible with MP3.

Reply #3
foobar 0.9 can deal with chapters.

Again, we're talking aac/m4a - but using m4a with chapters would be such a more elegant solution in this circumstance, especially as you are using on an iPod.

I have no idea how easy Apple's Chapter Tool is to use - i.e.: whether it can chapter from a cuesheet.

I would use "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet > Compressed" in EAC, using iTunesEncode as the external compressor.  I'd then pull the m4a file into foobar 0.9, right click, select "Utils > MP4 chapters", and then point to the cuesheet that EAC created.  Your m4a will then be chaptered up to the nines.

Chapters can be likened to an embedded cuesheet.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
Thanks guys for all the answers but drop the fact that I'm using an Ipod, I'm not only using it...Forget the AAC etc...

Just rip a live cd in MP3 with Eac without the gap problem.

but thanks anyway...

Reply #5
Then I guess you are stuck with ripping as one MP3.

You can still use a cuesheet with an MP3 in foobar and Winamp.  Winamp has a plugin called mp3cue which will let you skip between tracks (if you are feeling camp) by using cuesheet data in conjunction with an image file.

Edit: FYI: LAME stores gapless info, so if you rip using LAME to separate tracks and then play on a player that uses that info, like foobar, you get gapless playback.  It's very cool - but of no use to you in this instance.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
MP3 is not a gapless codec.  You will always have gaps.  There is no way around this unless you use a player that is aware of lame tags or play with crossfading (which is not really gapless).
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'