Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Results of audio experiments (Read 3694 times) previous topic - next topic

Results of audio experiments

Hi!

As a spinoff of my efforts to create my very own, experimental audio codec, I have created a very nice audio effect. As an example, I processed the song "Radio #1" by the French band "Air". The processed sample is provided here (for educational purpose only. No copying!).

http://home.san.rr.com/sandiegodiaries/audio/chorale.mp3

I do not provide the original sample for copyright reasons. You will find it on filesharing systems if need be. In technical terms, what I am doing here can be described as follows:

1) Form FFTs of 65536 (2 ^ 16) samples, windowed (multiplied) with a sinusoidal function.

2) Transform real/imaginary coefficients into magnitude/phase representation

3) Randomize the phase

4) perform an inverse FFT

5) add the resulting signal to the output WAVE file and advance by 16384 samples (that is 1/4 of the transform size)

6) Loop till end of sample reached.

This can be seen as an extreme demonstration of the effect of "pre-echo" in audio coding.  ;-) The effect of temporally smoothing/smearing transient signals is demonstrated here in a very exaggerated way.

The randomization of phase information removes any temporal localization of information within the transform block. Transient signals will be smeared over time. The sinusoidal window function blends the individual transform blocks so you don't hear any breaks or clicks between transform blocks.

You will notice that the percussion is smeared so badly that it almost sounds like breaking waves at the beach. And the vocals sound like a chorale in a cathedral, hence the name of the sample ;-)

Christian

Reply #1
Originally posted by cbuchner1
3) Randomize the phase

Would this give you weird random surround effects as well? Cool

Reply #2
[deleted]

Reply #3
Originally posted by TrNSZ
Do you have any code available for this?

I'd be interested in checking it out on a few different samples and see what happens.

Unfortunately, ... no.

I developed that analysis/synthesis code for an audiocodec.
This audio effect I tried was just a quick experiment. Meanwhile this program has evolved further:

Now it produces horribly big compressed audio files with bad artifacts. ;-)