Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound differences in low vs high powered volume matched headphone amps? (Read 1162 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound differences in low vs high powered volume matched headphone amps?

Suppose you set up 2 hypothetical amps from the same product line that differ only in power delivery at the headphone jack.  They are volume matched, but one volume pot is at 9 and one is at 3. If the weaker amp gets very close to the limits of it's output, but neither actually clips, are you going to hear a difference between them if you listen to music with a lot of dynamic range?

I'm looking at a fairly insensitive pair of headphones (86 dB), and wondering how much output power matters.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Re: Sound differences in low vs high powered volume matched headphone amps?

Reply #1
If there is only a difference in power supply there would be no difference.  Nothing bad happens when you get close to clipping.

They are volume matched, but one volume pot is at 9 and one is at 3.
That would be a difference in gain.

Generally, higher gain means more noise (all else being equal) but if the volume is the same the overall gain is the same so it's hard to say, and these two hypothetical circuits can't be identical.  .   And if the noise isn't audible it won't 'make a difference.

Reply #2
Thank you. I'm assuming that in most cases for decent amps, the noise won't be audible.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #3
In my experience, noise levels are so low everywhere, that the only way it's audible, is usually when you connect very sensitive headphones, to a system where you have to bring the volume way down in order to not make it too loud (something like 2% out of 100 in the user interface, whatever that means), while (some of) its own noise is unaffected by this volume control. Also, sometimes when you have to use such microscopic gain values, suddenly one channel gets noticeably louder than the other, for some reason it tends to be left channel.
If your headphones have low sensitivity, I think it's actually a good/safe thing, as long as whatever you connect them to, is able to be loud enough without clipping.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed