Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Absolutely no sound on my system whatsoever... (Read 4582 times) previous topic - next topic

Absolutely no sound on my system whatsoever...

foobar says:

Opening track for playback: "D:\My Music\Static-X - Start A War\Start A War.mp3"
DirectSoundCreate failed : Unknown error code (0x88780032)
Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x88780032)

dxdiag says for sound:

Problem getting extra sound info, result code=0x88780032 (error code)
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780032 (error code)

This started happening today. I ran the online troubleshooter and it said I should uninstall LazyUSF and did so, but this still didn't fix it.

Any other file I try to play also results in the same error, regardless of format. Even Windows Media Player doesn't work. In fact, ANY sounds don't work at all.

Next I'm going to try a reboot and then also reinstall my audio drives (I hate the IDT Audio Chipset), but is there anything else I can do?

Thank you,
Camo

Reply #1
Sounds like a driver issue more like.

Reply #2
That's what I was afraid of... Thanks.

And BTW, Love foobar2000, much better than W****p. 

Ok, here's what I did to get my audio working again... this might be helpful for those who have the same issue as me.

1. Delete all contents of C:\Program Files\IDT (or wherever you installed the driver to originally). If Windows says some files can't be deleted, that's ok.

2. Reboot.

3. Reinstall drivers (the setup program will ask you to reboot when it's done).

4. You should now have your sound back.