Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting single large vinyl rip flac file into separate tracks (Read 16850 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting single large vinyl rip flac file into separate tracks

Hi all,

I'm new here so please let me know if this is the right place to put this! Thanks.

I've looked on Google and here, don't know if my search criteria was crap or not, but really need help regarding splitting single large flac file into separate tracks. I have a .cue file so that's not the problem. The problem is it's a vinyl  24 bit/192 kHz rip and when I use this: cuebreakpoints *.cue | shnsplit -o flac *.flac it gives me this error: shnsplit: error: m:ss.ff format can only be used with CD-quality files

I'm using ARCH Linux so windows options/solutions are not an option or are they?

PS. I have EAC running under wine on my PC. I can split .wav files (using EAC) but have not been successful converting the .flac file to a .wav file inasmuch EAC doesn't like that the .wav file is altered and that it can't read the .cue file.

Thanks Piers

Re: Splitting single large vinyl rip flac file into separate tracks

Reply #1
Try foobar2000.  Make sure the .cue and the flac file are in the same directory.   Load the cue into foobar's playlist window (drag and drop should work).  It should expand to multiple tracks.  Select them all (Ctrl-A), right click to bring up a tools menu, select Convert, choose either WAV or FLAC as output, and there you go.  You'll have to tag and rename the files afterwards , though it's possible to do in foobar too.

ah, wait, you said Linux, never mind : <

Reply #2
Thanks all the same.  Any other suggestions would be awesome.

Reply #3
Try:
http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/

Pretty much a linux clone of foobar2000.  Not sure if CUE files work with hi-res though.

Reply #4
It used to read help me split my Monkey's Audio downloadz.  Times have changed (not necessarily for the better Spoiler (click to show/hide)
).

Reply #5
As a matter of interest it's a copy of "The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking" I have the CD and had made a large flac file copy of it at some point in the interim the CD has been damaged and one of the tracks badly enough so that the CD is not readable in that area! So, there we go! I've been collecting music (Vinyl and CD's) for about 45 years now and was hoping that I don't have to try and find the CD again. In South Africa it's sometimes quite difficult to find these things!

Thanks all the same!

Reply #6
Not very compelling, but alas our rules aren't against members being pirates; rather they're against the "how" aspect of piracy.

Did you try repairing your rip with the CUETools database?  I know you're using Linux, but this is a very good reason to be able to run programs written for Windows.

Reply #7
From my original post! "I use this: cuebreakpoints *.cue | shnsplit -o flac *.flac it gives me this error: shnsplit: error: m:ss.ff format can only be used with CD-quality files"

So as you can see I am using cuetools and the various components that come with it. There is nothing wrong with the .flac file or the .cue file but because vinyl is COMPLETELY different to a CD, this is what's causing the issue. The above works with audio CD's that have been ripped but not with Vinyl rips.

The reason I have been using Linux for the last 12 years or so, is because besides wanting nothing to do with windows, all the software and programs I use, are free and there is no need to purchase or pirate anything!

In any event, I've figured out how to do this, so thanks all the same.

Reply #8
So as you can see I am using cuetools and the various components that come with it.
I can see you're using something that is quite different from what I was talking about.
Did you try repairing your rip with the CUETools database?  I know you're using Linux, but this is a very good reason to be able to run programs written for Windows.
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Database

There is nothing wrong with the .flac file or the .cue file but because vinyl is COMPLETELY different to a CD.
...and by "vinyl is COMPLETELY different to a CD" you really mean to say the audio data is something other than 44.1/16 (which COMPLETELY has nothing to do with the audio source being vinyl).
this is what's causing the issue.
No kidding!

The above works with audio CD's that have been ripped but not with Vinyl rips.
Clearly.

The reason I have been using Linux for the last 12 years or so, is because besides wanting nothing to do with windows, all the software and programs I use, are free and there is no need to purchase or pirate anything!
...except for content.  Zealot much?

That's great.  Hopefully your mind is open to a solution that may help you correct errors from your own rips.
http://db.cuetools.net/top.php?artist=Roger%20Waters

Reply #9
Maybe convert the rip to 16/44 with sox?
Code: [Select]
sox input.wav -b 16 -r 44.1k output.wav

(from https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,87045.0.html )

Also, foobar should run in wine on Linux; it does for me on OS X.

Reply #11
A recent thread in the fb2k forum reminded us of what junk medieval cue splitter is; pointing to a discussion that exposed it as crapware with evidence. Don't believe me?  I'll give you the link.

...then again the thread is about vinyl, so I guess it's ok to use a sloppy audio splitter.

Reply #12
Convert to 16 bit 44.1 kHz and load it CUETools... but of course the vinyl is different than the cd. Have you checked the cue file and see if it got the correct parameters? Don't convert FLAC to WAV because that happens, when you load it sometimes not all data is displayed correctly, foobar should work perfectly with a correct cue sheet, if not, open the cue, click save as, click All Files option, and then save it with a new name but don't Forget to save it as .cue.

Reply #13
So as you can see I am using cuetools and the various components that come with it.
I can see you're using something that is quite different from what I was talking about.
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Database

There is nothing wrong with the .flac file or the .cue file but because vinyl is COMPLETELY different to a CD.
...and by "vinyl is COMPLETELY different to a CD" you really mean to say the audio data is something other than 44.1/16 (which COMPLETELY has nothing to do with the audio source being vinyl).
this is what's causing the issue.
No kidding!

The above works with audio CD's that have been ripped but not with Vinyl rips.
Clearly.

...except for content.  Zealot much?

That's great.  Hopefully your mind is open to a solution that may help you correct errors from your own rips.
http://db.cuetools.net/top.php?artist=Roger%20Waters

This made my day lmao. 

Reply #14
A possible solution to the original poster's problem:

When trying to split a high-resolution FLAC file to separate tracks from a CUE sheet, you run the command:
cuebreakpoints '<cue_file>' | shnsplit -o flac '<audio_flac_file>'
and get the error message "shnsplit: error: m:ss.ff format can only be used with CD-quality files"

then modify the command and try it like this:
cuebreakpoints '<cue_file>' | sed s/$/0/ | shnsplit -o flac '<audio_flac_file>'

TIP: To run those Unix commands on a Windows system (using win32 binaries), replace single quotes with double-quotes.

more info here [askubuntu.com]

Reply #15
Further explanation (of Reply #14):

If you run this example command on a CUE file belonging to 16bit/44kHz audio data (standard Redbook) ,
each track length is presented in the format m:ss.ff
$ cuebreakpoints TheBeatles.cue
5:29.61
9:16.46
14:33.07
18:07.63
22:14.14
25:34.12
27:35.47
33:02.69
38:13.55
43:27.67
47:38.28
51:07.65
From the shntool manual, we see that it can use different track length formats, and by default it uses m:ss.ff (last two digits represent the frames);
but if the resolution of the audio data is higher than CD, then the length needs to be formatted as m:ss.nnn for shntool/shnsplit to be able to process the operation.

So we modify the output of the cuebreakpoints command, appending a zero "0" character to the end of each line;
the SED command is commonly used for such tasks on Unix systems.

Running our command again but this time piping to SED,
the output will show track lengths like this
$ cuebreakpoints TheBeatles.cue | sed s/$/0/
5:29.610
9:16.460
14:33.070
18:07.630
22:14.140
25:34.120
27:35.470
33:02.690
38:13.550
43:27.670
47:38.280
51:07.650
giving us track lengths with 3 digits (m:ss.nnn) instead of 2 (m:ss.ff)
and piping to shntool/shnsplit will now process the audio data without problems.

Reply #16
To be more correct you have to multiply the ff frame number x13.33333... to get the time correct ms nnn number.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!