Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can remastered CDs sound too different and modernized? (Read 17159 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Can remastered CDs sound too different and modernized?

Reply #25
some albums labeled as "FDR" (that's full dynamic range), when they were previously released only with a lot of compression:
Carcass — Swansong
At the Gates — Slaughter of the Soul
(for all of the above I ignored releases on non-digital mediums, of course)

Earache's "full dynamic range" series, well ... not all have higher DR. I have not scrutinized it, but I found that both Bandcamp downloads of Sleep's Holy Mountain have a DR of 13, which is the same as my 1992 CD.
So they have a "full dynamic range" remaster with no higher dynamic range ...
That's why I added "when they were previously released only with a lot of compression".
Of course some of them had no problem to begin with.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #26
some albums labeled as "FDR" (that's full dynamic range), when they were previously released only with a lot of compression:
Carcass — Swansong
(for all of the above I ignored releases on non-digital mediums, of course)

Earache's "full dynamic range" series, well ... not all have higher DR. I have not scrutinized it, but I found that both Bandcamp downloads of Sleep's Holy Mountain have a DR of 13, which is the same as my 1992 CD.
So they have a "full dynamic range" remaster with no higher dynamic range ...
That's why I added "when they were previously released only with a lot of compression".
Of course some of them had no problem to begin with.

That is the wrong part. Even at least one that was previously released with the same dynamic range now is for sale in two editions from the same outlet: a DR 13 edition, and a "full dynamic range" with a DR of ... 13.

I would make the hunch that they just went back to all their files and did a "flat" transfer without any limiting, and without checking whether the "other" had any such processing, but arguably it looks a bit like audiophoolery.

Reply #27
at least one that was previously released with the same dynamic range
That's specifically what I am excluding.
I were talking about the albums which were previously NOT available with the same DR.
I did not deny that a part of these series are nothing new, but some are something new.
Or at least I could not find any mentions on the Web that these 2 albums
Carcass — Swansong
were already available in full DR before they were re-released with "FDR" mark. (If I search these two on the DR database, there aren't any normal versions before "FDR").
If you read it carefully I never explicitly mentioned other releases under "FDR" mark as being an improvement — indeed some of them are nothing new.

…without checking whether the "other" had any such processing
By the way, it's quite easy for the albums released before 1993: nobody was doing such extreme DR compression before that year. So, for example, I can tell even without listening/looking that "FDR" re-release of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altars_of_Madness was pointless.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed